Unlevel tub install

Users who are viewing this thread

Max2411

Reaction score
New here. Our contractor has recently installed a new Americast tub. In addition to it being damaged during construction, I have noticed it is also not level and slopes towards the back of the tub. Will this be an issue? At my request, I have asked him to replace the tub. Should I make sure next time that the tub is perfectly level? Of course we have an old house and he told me the floor was not level due to him sistering the floor joists. This has also become a problem with the marble floor tile install (running board pattern) Many tiles have lipage and he said that was due to having a floor that is not level. Bathroom size is approx. 8x14. We are doing a herringbone pattern on the surround. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

Max2411

Reaction score
Also, our contractor is installing large marble subway tiles in the surround to match the flooring. Will having an unlevel tub make it harder to install the tile? The substrate on the diverter wall overlaps the tub flange. I read that that will kick out the tiles on the first row. Should that be addressed as well and how so? Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I always install the tub level in my remodels. I may have some lean from the wall to the apron side, to prevent water from collecting at the wall.
But from end to end I try to get it as level as I can. Why make it hard on the tile guy?
After the tub is set, you normally have your backer board on the floor and tile. That tends to cover any shimming done at the floor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The first thing in most tub installs instructions is to ensure that it is level...yes, an incorrect slope will likely give you problems both with surround and down the road as water pools rather than runs into the tub. If the subflooring isn't level, you either make it level, or more common, use some cement based product underneath to make it level. Lots of discussions on that topic in the forum, you can search on it.

The tile council of North America (TCNA) has guidelines on how to install tile (generally accepted as the industry bible on how to do things), and the first thing they say is to prep the floor to industry standards prior to laying tile, so there's no excuse for uneven tile. Depending on the size of the tile, the least stringent spec calls for flat within 1/8" in 10', with no variation of more than 1/16" in 2'. If the tile are bigger than 15" on any side, it gets even more strict . There is also a standard for the maximum amount of lippage allowed...you'd need measure what's there to see if it is within specs. Those specs also call for TWO layers of plywood, installed in a particular manner along with the joists being strong enough for stone, which requires at least twice the stiffness of a ceramic. On top of the ply, you generally need either a membrane or something like a cement board (cbu), that also must be installed per industry standards to work properly. Someone taking your money to do a job should provide a result at least as good as the minimum industry standards. That has not been met. There are specific specs in the TCNA guidelines that you can measure the tile job against. You can point to the installation instructions on the tub for the level part. For long-term reliability, how the tile is installed in the surround also needs to be done at least according to one of the accepted procedures in that handbook, as well.

lanachurner

Reaction score
I suggest you do not install a tub perfectly level.
I have seen many, many tubs that were installed level and that allows water to trickle over the edge of the tub and onto the floor. It invariably rots out the sub floor at the corners.
I always install tubs with them leaning towards the back wall about 1/8 " to 3/16". This prevents spill over.
The tiler will need to adjust for this in the first course of tile so make sure you tell them.
The worst possible install is one that is leaning outwards. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A well designed tub has everything internal to it sloped for proper drainage that is disrupted if yours is not level where they tell you to make sure it is level. Not all are well-designed.

Terry, who installs them as a profession, and the other pros on this website and the manufacturers that have a vested interest and engineering staff say to install them level, too.

If you install a door, and it is not sealed or installed properly, it can leak, but that's not a fault of the tub. Same thing about maybe not closing the shower curtain properly. If there's any improper slope to the tub deck, the tiling flange can direct any moisture that gets there in directions you don't want it, or to pool rather than weeping back into the tub as designed.

Last edited:

lanachurner

Reaction score
If you install a tub level front to back it will spill over the side. Not much but it will spill.
Many people, especially children, don't pay much attention to keeping a shower curtain completely closed.
A few drops spilled each time will eventually rot out the corners of the floor.
It only takes about 1/8" of tilt towards the back wall to insure no spill. The tile man can easily adjust the tile to account for the tilt.
It's cheap insurance.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Setting a tub level does not mean that the horizontal surfaces are also level...on most, they slope slightly into the center. If you don't set it level, that means some slight puddling of water against at least one wall. Normally it won't leak if it has a tiling flange, but can lead to discoloration of some tile and mold growth. Mold requires three things: the mold itself (Can't really get rid of those in the air), food (soap, shampoo, conditioner, dead skin cells, etc.), and moisture. Stop any one, and you'll stop mold. Pick your poison.

lanachurner

Reaction score
Plumbers don't usually see the results of setting the tub level because repairs to the sub floor are completed before they get there to install the new tub.
Setting a tub level will allow spillage over the side and cause the corners to rot out.
Set the tub about 1/8" off level so it leans toward the back. I have rarely seen tile stain. Even inexpensive ceramic stuff. Porcelain is more dense and will not stain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks