Universal height vs. regular height TOTO?

Users who are viewing this thread

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
Is there a general height at which people prefer the universal height over the regular height TOTOs? (I know shorter or longer legs for one's height could effect this.) Or is it less dependent on the person's height and more dependent on the person getting older and weaker?

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Both. On my ADA Drake I prefer a 3/4" seat and on my non-ADA Drake I prefer a 1" thick seat. Ideally I would like a seat being at 16.0" from the floor. The non-ADA bowl is 14+5/8"h, the ADA bowl s 16+1/4"h. I put the ADA Drake in my Master bedroom, the non-ADA Drake in the hallway bathroom, closer to the kid's bedrooms. If I had very young children I'd probably install a 3/4" seat on the shorter Drake. As they both became teenagers I'd probably switch to the 1" seat. I prefer the ADA because of my bad knees.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm 5'8" and at age 80, it is very difficult for me to rise from sitting on a standard height toilet without assistance. Any time a persons knees are higher than the butt, it requires more effort to stand than if the thighs are level or lower than the knees. The effort increases with age. Both of my toilets are universal height, and I really notice the difference when stay in a motel that still has low toilets!

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
It really is amazing the difference just 1½ to 2 inches can make on the knees. I have used ADA height toilets for years in various locations but didn't have them in my home until late last year -- probably because, to me, it meant I'm old. LOL! Unless a person is very much vertically challenged, I can't imagine not preferring the ADA height, and an elongated bowl for that matter. There are a number of newer elongated toilets that are designed to take up the same or a lesser amount of space as "traditional" round. My Champion 4 elongated one-piece does not protrude as far from the back of the tank to the front of the bowl as did the 1991 round Cadet it replaced.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The way I look at it, even an ADA rated toilet is still lower than the average dining room chair. WIth an elongated one, I don't find it hard to straddle it so my legs are to the sides rather than trying to hang over the front lip. And, one thing my doctor told me...if you can't do your thing in 3-minutes or less, you need to wait and try again...straining or sitting there extended time just isn't good for you in the first place, but is a necessary diversion from your day!

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Is there a general height at which people prefer the universal height over the regular height TOTOs?

I would prefer an Eljer Titan at 15.0"h bowl rim (ugly tank, though). Some say that the regular height Totos are too low and the ADA height Totos are too high. (Kohler and AS are even higher.) It has to be taken on a case by case basis, while also factoring in seat height. I suggest the ADA elongated for the master bedroom and the regular height for the kid's bathroom. The wife then has her choice. If the wife complains of front splash due to the elongated then install a round bowl regular height in the hallway bathroom. If you are lucky enough to have a split level where the bedrooms are upstairs and you also have a downstairs guest bathroom, then the guest lavatory can get the ADA elongated while the master bedroom gets the ADA elongated dual cyclone TOTO and the kids get the regular height round.

Last edited:

Wycnyc

Reaction score
I am looking for a toilet that is more squared off at the base (to go with our Art Deco bathroom) but all the Best Rated toilets with that style, regardless of brand, seem to be the "too-tall" A.D.A. height that don't work with my short legs. That is ironic because the the one original 1925 toilet in our house has a tall tank but is a standard height bowl. The "squatty potty" idea doesn't work for me because (as a male) when I go "number 1" my feet go where the "squatty potty" is. I don't want to have to move the darn thing every time I need to "drain the tank".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks