Unit heater draft inducer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
draft inducer was humming. tried to give it a boost with a screw driver. It wanted to start. Pulled it off and free'd it up by hand. Plugged it in a wall socket and now it works. Can i oil the shaft a bit?

interalian

Reaction score
If the bearings were bound up due to cold/old lube and you've got it turning now, I'd say a little light oil would be OK. Is there any play in the shaft? I just put a new one on my garage heater as the original 12yo one was grinding due to worn bearings. Only $60, so replacement made sense.

Bigmesa

Reaction score
Depending on the model of the motor you most likely have a small run capacitor attached to the motor that may have failed. A motor that spins freely when off but has a hard time starting without assistance is a dead giveaway for a weak or failed capacitor. Most of those motors have sealed bearings so oiling the shaft won't get you very far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks