Unique Spring Setup - Advice Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryanmo

Reaction score
Yes, 2.31' equals 1 PSI. Those pump specs are confusing. Looks lie 112' of head max which is only 48 PSI.
Right, I think I figured that out shortly after sending. As long as I get something in the 230'~ ballpark I should be good, I suppose.

Ryanmo

Reaction score
Yes, 231' is 100 PSI, which is needed to use a 70/90 pressure switch.
Got it. Right now I think I'll go with a 1.5hp submersible rated for 119 psi in a cistern. I saw another thread that showed your set up for mounting that I'll probably go with. Really at this point I'm just wondering how much pressure loss will come from filtration, but hopefully there's enough in that pump if I needed to bump to a 80/100 it'll still be good. Thanks a lot for the help, hopefully you won't be hearing from me, but that's unlikely lol. I'll probably reach out concerning the csv when I get closer.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A submersible in the cistern is a good idea as they make more pressure than a jet pump. We will talk you through it if you have any questions.

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Horizontal Bracket for Sub sized.jpg

shroud 3 pics sized.jpg

Ryanmo

Reaction score
That's the one I saw, thanks. What piping materials do you suggest for connecting the network from pump--->filters---->out? Pex? I know you suggested poly for the long run to the new house. I'm still unclear on the physics behind going from a larger diameter to a smaller, then back to larger, because that's what I'll probably have to do. But as long as the pressure is there, I don't care to learn the physics lol. I'm not sure what the exact inlet / outlet sizes on the filters / softener will be yet.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pex is fine. Really any pipe you want to use will work. Don't worry about the pipe size changes as long as the smallest pipe is large enough to do the job. You don't want a 1/4" chain link in the middle of a 3/4" heavy chain. Lol!

Reach4

Reaction score
SIDR polyethylene is bigger ID than the nominal size, and PEX is smaller than the nominal size. So if using PEX, you might upsize the nominal size over what you would have needed with SIDR. For example, if 1 inch SIDR polyethylene is one possibility, compare that with 1-1/4 pex (which is expensive).

Ryanmo

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.... I shot it with a transit yesterday. 35 feet of elevation from the pump to the new house. Here's what I'm trying to figure out now...There's about 8 feet of fall from the spring to where the holding tank will be stored. I would love to gravity feed it but also would like to keep the tank above ground. I assume with a shorter, wider tank I'll at least need to get 3 feet of rise to get into the tank. Are there any methods to assist gravity such as decreasing the diameter of piping close to the tank? I wasn't sure an elbow turn and the rise it needs would be doable with 8 feet of fall.

Ryanmo

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.... I shot it with a transit yesterday. 35 feet of elevation from the pump to the new house. Here's what I'm trying to figure out now...There's about 8 feet of fall from the spring to where the holding tank will be stored. I would love to gravity feed it but also would like to keep the tank above ground. I assume with a shorter, wider tank I'll at least need to get 3 feet of rise to get into the tank. Are there any methods to assist gravity such as decreasing the diameter of piping close to the tank? I wasn't sure an elbow turn and the rise it needs would be doable with 8 feet of fall.
@Valveman wasn't sure if you saw this question.... Also, some of the various filter options have a selection for the size of inlet and outlet. Should I choose the largest available i.e. 1-1/12 vs 1" or 1" instead of 3/4 ?

Concerning the CSV, I have an existing pressure tank, and I'm not sure how old it is. I think it's about a 30 gallon. I probably need to get an 80/100 pressure switch to account for all the filtration and head loss. Please let me know what items you suggest.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
@Valveman wasn't sure if you saw this question.... Also, some of the various filter options have a selection for the size of inlet and outlet. Should I choose the largest available i.e. 1-1/12 vs 1" or 1" instead of 3/4 ?

Concerning the CSV, I have an existing pressure tank, and I'm not sure how old it is. I think it's about a 30 gallon. I probably need to get an 80/100 pressure switch to account for all the filtration and head loss. Please let me know what items you suggest.
The pipe size of the filter is not as important as the flow rate and friction loss. Filters that work for the smallest particles have the most restriction. A 5 micron filter has much more restriction than a 20 mesh screen. I would think you would want at least a 1" but check the flow rate of the filter you have in mind.

With a 80/100 pressure switch you will need the CSV1A adjusted to 90 PSI.

Ryanmo

Reaction score
The pipe size of the filter is not as important as the flow rate and friction loss. Filters that work for the smallest particles have the most restriction. A 5 micron filter has much more restriction than a 20 mesh screen. I would think you would want at least a 1" but check the flow rate of the filter you have in mind.

With a 80/100 pressure switch you will need the CSV1A adjusted to 90 PSI.
I checked my pressure tank and it's only rated for a max of 100 psi. Not sure I want to have the cutoff constantly at the max rating. I might need to get the whole kit. I noticed the highest pressure switch selectable is a 70/90. Is 80/100 possible if ordered with the kit?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
80/100 is very doable, but you will need a larger tank. Our tanks are rated to 150 PSI, but you would need at least two of the 10 gallon size tanks at that pressure. You would be better off ordering the PK1ALT which the LT means less tank. Then you could get a 44 gallon size WellXtrol tank model WX250, which is also rated at 150 PSI and would be large enough by itself with the CSV.

Ryanmo

Reaction score
80/100 is very doable, but you will need a larger tank. Our tanks are rated to 150 PSI, but you would need at least two of the 10 gallon size tanks at that pressure. You would be better off ordering the PK1ALT which the LT means less tank. Then you could get a 44 gallon size WellXtrol tank model WX250, which is also rated at 150 PSI and would be large enough by itself with the CSV.
Valveman, please don't kill me for what I'm about to say (lol). I feel like what makes the most sense in my application, is to let the existing pump supply filtered water to the existing house, and to a holding tank at the new house, and pressurize it there for that house. Some of the filtration I'm using is max 100 psi, so I don't feel like hammering it with max PSI all the time bodes well for all the mechanicals. I also have a challenge of where to put the holding tank. I'd either have to build a new structure or put it underground. I think I can get away with a smaller holding tank and put everything in the garage of the new house.

My thought is to have a mechanical float valve control the water into the holding tank from the pump house. Then either use a submersible or small hp jet pump for the new house from the holding tank. I might use the entire psidekick system in the new house under this configuration. I think I can also get by with a 1" supply line for the long run to the new house, since I don't have to be as concerned about pressure loss.

I know I'm still overthinking it, but it just seems the parts are more straightforward and available at lower PSI needs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks