Unions. Yes or NO?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Master Plumber 101, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Cookie

Cookie .

I was lucky, I am always lucky in that I hit the long shots in life. I always win. I am glad I do, too. I couldn't wait until, the weekends so I could be with my husband, not hurried like the rest of the week. There on Saturday morning, he would say, " let's go get a delicious coffee" that was a Mickey D's coffee, since I make really lousy coffee. I would take a couple of slices of bread with me, and there we would sit at McDonalds's with our delicious coffees and feed the birds. I had a red Pt Crusier at the time, that he called, the little red bread wagon since the birds recognized it and sometimes, they tried to come in thru the window at him or the sunroof. We got to know the birds and named them. There was a black crow, we called, Walking Crow for he only walked across the road and he waited until, all the smaller birds ate before he did. That was our Saturday mornings and we loved them. We would go to yard sales or " go buy a flea." On Sundays, we would go again for our delicious coffees and come back to our basement where we had a little table set up and a small black & white Tv, there we sat drinking our coffees, listening to the tv while we read the Sunday rag. He would pat his knee and tell me to come sit with him. We would had been married 25 years, if he would had lived 2 months longer. Our marriage was not perfect because we weren't. But, the day I got married, my mother told him, " she is headstrong Timmy and you won't change her" and he never did nor did he try. He would joke and say, " you am what you yam" (in truth, I would had changed for him anything he wanted for I loved him so) but, of course, I would never had let him known that, :D

Our marriage was simple, fun, and usually never cost much money. We never fought over money, because we never had any extra to fight over; we paid our bills. The kids were extensions of us, and belonged to both of us, and we raised them together.

Take the chance someday. This is my diatribe. :D
    (my new word of the day)

2. Dunbar Plumbing

Dunbar Plumbing Master Plumber

Service Plumber, Outdoor Temperature Relief Owner
    Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    A great experience for you cookie which I'm glad you experienced; not everyone gets that luxury.

For the most part, people "tolerate" their situation until it goes *its up, and then it's over.

My parents are practically the last generation of those who "stick it out" in the thick and thin.

I wish more people stayed together, but the reality is marriage is no longer a sacred vow.

Best words ever spoken by a preacher:

"I've been at weddings that should of been funerals!"

I laughed my ass off when I heard that, and he would know better than anyone with the revolving door policy he's seen with that bride or groom that just keeps reappearing with another mate, kids in tow.

3. Cookie

Cookie .

I never wanted to get married. Then, one day, I met this man who was kind, and whose beliefs met my own. Together we did things to make this world a little better. Tim made the difference before he died for many.

Tim had a Santa's Workshop. He collected old bikes, fixed them, ( 2-wheelers, tri's, racers even one uni-cycle) and at Xmas he gave away as many as 50 bikes. I was in charge of adding the bells and whistles. :)

He was heavily into the sciences and would do science experiments to teach kids in the neighborhood. He was funny, he would say, "this is what you don't ever want to do!" and teach safety. (he was an EE)

He was a nice man. So, if I ever marry again, he has to be a nice man.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Tech. Instructor
    The secret for me was to come to a personal understanding that I am way way immature for my age so I married a woman 13 years younger. We get along just fine. :D

5. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Cookie,
    What a great direction for this thread to take!

Reading this, I wish I could have met your husband - sounds like a fine person all the way around with a huge heart. Your words are a wonderful tribute to him - in the end, a person can't ask for much better reputation than kindness and a desire to help others.

I am betting that you helped bring out the best in him (and vice versa).

6. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

Mp Mark, that is not ok.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  7. Master Plumber 101

Abracadabra!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  8. Master Plumber 101

You can keep acting immature and foolish, but I will no longer stoop to your level.

You guy's bring nothing to the fourm if you keep posting like you are. You look like fool's so keep doing what you are doing.

9. Cookie

Cookie .

Steve, thank you.

10. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Consultant
    I allmost joined a union & decided not to,and worked out OK.

11. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

Contractor of Radon Reduction, Testing, and Water
    Back to politics ... I'm voting for Sarah (John is part of the package)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  12. Cookie

Cookie .

Hey! wait those are my shoes!:D

13. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Tech. Instructor
    That's got to be the worst photo shop picture I've ever seen. I like it though:D

14. onezee20

onezee20 Master plumber and Bathtub Befinisher.

Master plumber and Bathtub Befinisher.
    Union Member

I was/am a union member in NYC.Our package was $86 per hour.You had to produce or you wwould get laid off. There were not many slackers.A fair days work for a fair days pay.
    The best medical benefits around.Vacation,holidaypay and sick days.It was a great job and the bosses and the workers get along.

The best you would be able to get from a non union boss was at most $35 an hour and there better be blood on the floor.Yet the non union bosses charge almost as much as the union bosses.
    The poster that said that the unions set the trend for the hourly rate is absolutly right.If there were not union plumbers out there getting $55-$60 an hour.There would not be non union plumbers getting $25-$35 and hr.We would all be getting $15 dollars and hour.
    That said I moved to Denver from Brooklyn NY 3 years ago.My intentions were to work union and get my pension.(which I worked union in NYC for 24 years and when I an 59 I will still get $2400 and month whether I work union another day in my life or not)It did not work out for me.

I worked with a bunch of b*** kissing brown nosers that could not do plumbing if their life depended on it.
    I dont think the whole local was like that but I dont want to find out.
    I tested for my Masters Licensed here(I also have a NYC masters License),have it and I am now on my own.

I have a few questions for the businessmen in here because you can be the greatest plumber in the world but if you cant run a business you are finished and I am feeling the pressure.
    If I can find out how to post i would like to ask some questions.
    Ray

15. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Service Plumber
    Ray in the section index a little below Terry's picture is a button that says "New Thread"

Click it!

Welcome to the forum...

16. brother

brother Member

Union is a good place to start, ie retirement vesting, good pay and medical etc.. But I understand its not for everyone.

17. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    This is kind of a fun read. A very old post but interesting.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  18. roxanwright

roxanwright New Member

Marketing Assistant
    He seem's to be giving better answers than any one else. Not like, she was against the bridge to no where, but still accepted $235 million in ear mark's attached to it. Come on!