Union removal and replace

Users who are viewing this thread

C. Moore

Reaction score
thread.jpg bottom.jpg top.jpg side.jpg
Hi. What is the best way to remove this copper fitting from cast iron?

Also, should I try and replace it with the same or can i use something else?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We use pipe wrenches on those. Sometimes you want one with a long handle. Or a pipe over the handle to extend the leverage.
Depending on codes, copper DWV, ABS, PVC,
You have several choices there.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The connection doesn't appear to be an actual "union", that being a particular fitting that one would use to make repeated disconnection and reconnection without cutting pipe. The big wrench is a good idea, but if you're not getting results, get a torch and put some heat on it. It'll go.

C. Moore

Reaction score
IMG_20170527_184551.jpg IMG_20170527_184611.jpg
Thanks for the tips. I was able to use heat along with the pipe wrench to make progress. Unfortunately, part of the thread broke off inside.
Is there a way to remedy this without cutting the cast iron?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Inch and a half IPS tap will clean out the threads, you should be able to rent one at your local tool rental shop.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might be able to deconstruct the threads remaining in the fitting with a hammer and a narrow sacrificial chisel. Sometimes if you can get them going you can peel them out like a sardine can and key. Get something sticking up and grab it with needle-nose pliers, then start twisting it around.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks