union leak

Users who are viewing this thread

fast pasquale

hardwood flooring contractor
Reaction score
In my basement i have a union that just started to leak. Its joins copper and galvanized i loosened it and noticed there was a rubber washer at the copper side. I just loaded the threads with teflon paste and it seemed to stop. Is this accepatable or just a quick fix???

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
fast pasquale said:
In my basement i have a union that just started to leak. Its joins copper and galvanized i loosened it and noticed there was a rubber washer at the copper side. I just loaded the threads with teflon paste and it seemed to stop. Is this accepatable or just a quick fix???

It sounds like a dialetric union and time will tell if it was a quick fix or not.

Is the coppers side soldered?

fast pasquale

hardwood flooring contractor
Reaction score
Thanks guys.. I am fully aware that the galvanized needs to get replaced eventually. The union IS soldered on the copper side. I just wasn't sure if teflon paste was acceptable where there was a rubber washer. I made the repair last night and not one leak so far.. just trying to avoid the worst case scenario.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ah, now I understand what you did. Normally disassembly, cleaning and reassembling it, without the Teflon on the washer would work. Most times the problem is the union is not lined up straight. The Teflon on the threads let you tighten it enough that it wont leak any more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks