Uniform Plumbing Code and Stack Termination

Users who are viewing this thread

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
906.2 Clearance Each vent shall terminate not less than 10 feet from, or not less than 3 feet above, an openable window, door, opening, air intake, or vent shaft ...

None of these things occur on a normal house roof. The main items protruding from a single-family residence roof are usually exhaust, so I am wondering if I am mistaken in interpreting a roof-mounted attic vent as an opening?
Thank you.

I found this website, which tries to explain plumbing code while explaining what terms mean.
https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Plumbing_Vent_Definitions.php#VClear

Colepepper Plumbing

Reaction score
If there is a second story to the house, this is what they are referring to. Say kitchen sink is first floor and there is a roof over hang, then the second story there is a window

Reach4

Reaction score
If you search for the term "operable skylight", you will see there are skylights that can open.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
This code section is really just about allowing for the diffusion of sewer gas and preventing it from entering the building.

Three feet above a window, or ten feet away, three feet from the property line, one foot above the top of an operable skylight in the open position and seven feet above a roof deck used for assembly purposes.

It usually comes into play during remodels where forethought is required and proper points of termination are overlooked; rear additions, shed roofs, roof decks, skylights.

In commercial work, it's usually make-up air or air intakes as HJ mentioned.

Edit: Oh, and in San Francisco where they have combination storm/ sanitary systems, rain water downspouts for roof drainage can be a problem.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks