Unifit Adapter T-Bolt Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul4265

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a Fresca Antila toilet with Unifit adapter. However, the T-bolt slots in the adapter (6" C-C) do not match up with the T-Bolt slots in the toilet flange (standard 6.125"). Also, most images that I see online, show the Adapter T-Bolt slot running perpendicular to the flange slots. However, my adapter slots are an arc shape and run concentric with the flange slots (see image). Hopefully someone can tell me an obvious solution to this problem, which has me absolutely stumped!

Attachments

• FLANGE.jpg
    FLANGE.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 261

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's not clear what the problem is?!

One thing that can help keep things aligned while installing the UniFit adapter to the flange is if you use a second set of washers and bolts to anchor the T-bolt to the flange where it needs to be so it doesn't move or tip while installing the adapter to it. The adapter should fit any standard flange.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a Fresca Antila toilet with Unifit adapter.
I don't think so. You have some other adapter, and I hope it is one intended for your toilet.

Paul4265

Reaction score
I don't think so. You have some other adapter, and I hope it is one intended for your toilet.
I am not 100% sure if this is a "Unifit Adapter" as I believe that is what the adapter is called for the Toto brand.

Anyway, thank you both for replying to my post. I have attached a few pictures which might help clarify the issue I am having.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 219
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 240

Paul4265

Reaction score
And a few more...

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 244

Paul4265

Reaction score
Sorry for all the pics, I just wanted to make sure that we can all have a good look at what components I am using. The Adapter came with the toilet (Fresca "Antila"), and the T-bolts and flange were purchase at Home Depot and Lowes (both items are standard).

As mentioned in my original post. Unfortunately, the circular shaped slots are concentric with the flange slots rather than running horizontal. And the dimension between them is slightly smaller than the standard 6.125" distance between the slots on the flange. It looks like the problem I am having is more of an interference issue rather than a misalignment. However, I don't have the flange attached to the floor yet, as I wanted to test fit first. That being said, the flange and T-bolts are very rigid when I do the test fit.

Anyway, when I force the adapter over the T-Bolts, they become misaligned. I can keep one bolt straight, but the other bolt wants to go toward the center of the flange and towards the wall. As a result, I am unable to get the adapter to seat flush with the floor (.1875"-.25" gap).

Reach4

Reaction score
The adapter is plastic. I would use a rat tail file or other tool to adjust the slots. I would put a washer (maybe a fender washer if that fits) under the nut. That part of the adapter does not act to secure the toilet, so the stress there is pretty small there in use. I expect it is largely the caulking that keeps the front of the toilet from sliding left and right.

Paul4265

Reaction score
The adapter is plastic. I would use a file or other tool to adjust the slots. I would put a washer (maybe a fender washer if that fits) under the nut. That part of the adapter does not act to secure the toilet, so the stress there is pretty small there in use.

Thank you for the response. That was my thought as well to modify the adapter, and that is a good tip about the fender washers.

An chance that T-bolts would be available in a smaller thread size? I am guessing here as I don't have the bolts in front of me, but I think they are 1/4" or 5/16" diameter.

Paul4265

Reaction score
If your closet bolts are 5/16, you could get a bit more by going to 1/4.

A digital caliper is a nice tool to have around.

If they are 5/16" Dia., using a reduced 1/4" bolt giving us 1/32" per side might just do the trick. I will report back later today...

Still, I question the manufacturers wisdom for using a narrower dimension between slots along with the shape of the slot. Perhaps, there is a patent on the Unifit adapter horizontal slots?

Thanks for the link...I am pretty sure that I have seen that link online in the last few days. Hopefully, I won't have to do modifications to that extent.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Standard closet bolts are 1/4" by 2-1/4"
Notching sounds like a good idea if the adapter isn't droping over the bolts.
For marking holes, I like to set the adapter down and then mark through the holes. I then lift it up, do the wax seal and install it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks