Unidentified Toilet Flange Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Christensen

Reaction score
My wife and I own a building that was built in 1929. An adventure doesn't quite describe it. :) I consider myself a 9/10 in terms of handyman skills. I ran into this last night though with a toilet I'm trying to replace. The bolts were completely rusted through and you can see there is some sort of flange that sits about 1/2" proud of the floor. Is this something I can wire brush and retrofit a flange collar into? Then core down some new bolts into the floor? I can't see any distinct "joints." I realize it's messy, but I'm hoping I don't have to remove or cut this flang out to put a collar flange in. I'm worried if I do do that, then the wax ring will sit too high for the toilet to mount correctly.

Flang opening at top is 5" ID, so I'm assuming it's about 4" ID once it gets into the drain.

Attachments

• IMG_6790.jpg
    IMG_6790.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_6792.jpg
    IMG_6792.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_6793.jpg
    IMG_6793.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 290

Mark Christensen

Reaction score
There aren't any key slots anymore as it's so corroded and therefore nowhere to put new bolts. My thought was if I put a replacement flange on top, I'd get the holes I need and then drill down into the existing flange floor and put some solid anchors in. Am I headed in the wrong direction?

Reach4

Reaction score
The thing you may want is called a repair ring.

Superior Model # 21015 repair ring has mounting tabs outside.
PASCO 21013 is similar in red

flange-repair-red-ring-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Christensen

Reaction score
That looks promising. I need to wire brush off the corrosion on the flange that's there correct? For the wax ring to work correctly? And with the repair ring, I won't be too high? Thanks for the help guys!

Reach4

Reaction score
That looks promising. I need to wire brush off the corrosion on the flange that's there correct? For the wax ring to work correctly? And with the repair ring, I won't be too high?
Brush off what is loose, but wax conforms pretty well. You can mold it to the shape you like if the shape out of the box is not to your liking.

Sioux Chief 886-MR is a stainless steel repair ring without the mounting tabs. Maybe that would work better for you.

A putty knife might be useful, depending on what is on the existing flange.

How much higher above floor level is your existing flange. If the total height vs the floor that the toilet sits on is no more than 3/8, it is not too high. There is more room than that, but 3/8 gives margin.

are products like this any good?
Better than wax has some advantages, but I don't think it is going to conform to an irregular surface as well. Plus, it is not able to squish as thin as wax can. So if your repair ring+flange are high, that is not the thing to use.

How about DANCO Model 10672X is Hydroseat? It may fit your needs. Read up on it. You put a normal wax ring under it. This allows you access to see the wax, which you don't when you drop the toilet right on the wax. I used to think you put another wax ring on top, but I see they are telling you that you just put the toilet on top with no top wax. You may be able to alternately use the holes not on the feet to hold it down.

Last edited:

Mark Christensen

Reaction score
How much higher above floor level is your existing flange. If the total height vs the floor that the toilet sits on is no more than 3/8, it is not too high. There is more room than that, but 3/8 gives margin.

Current flange is 3/8" above the tile. If I use the Sioux Chief on top of that flange, I'm still ok for height? I'd prefer not to have to shim the toilet and be able tight the toilet down to the flange and have the toilet then tight to the floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
Current flange is 3/8" above the tile. If I use the Sioux Chief on top of that flange, I'm still ok for height? I'd prefer not to have to shim the toilet and be able tight the toilet down to the flange and have the toilet then tight to the floor.
I don't know. I suspect yes. If you put a bead of modelling clay on the flange, you could set the toilet in place. Sit on it. Remove the toilet, and examine how thin the clay is down to.

https://www.pexuniverse.com/sioux-chief-886-mr-ringer-stainless-steel-closet-ring says overall height, 0.25 inches. That probably has a rolled edge. What is the OD of your existing flange?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superior-Tool-SuperRing-Closet-Replacement-Ring-21015/202538331 says 0.2 inches for the Superior 21015

Did you take a putty knife to the top of that flange? Make sure you are not measuring the height of the old wax remaining.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some toilets don't have a lot of room, so height above the floor can become an issue.

But, once you clean that up, you may very well be able to pry out the old bolts and just put in new ones. Make sure you use stainless steel or all brass (not plated steel) bolts and future replacement will be much easier. That flange may have used notches verses slots. Once you find them, if what's left around it is solid, new bolts can be used after removing the old ones. Scrape and wire brush it well to see what's going on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks