Unicorn tub drain, slightly smaller that normal, help

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello fellow plumbers and DIYers. I have been in the business eat it around Seattle for 20 years and I have never came across this problem before. I was changing out a tub drain and after finally getting it out with a whole lot of effort on my part I went to putty up and put the new one back in and it's too big just barely though. My entire career I thought there was only inch and a half in 2-in drains for tubs and showers, but I'm glad I'm learning something new. I just called around to Ferguson, Keller and Consolidated and nobody seems to have the parts to fix this and I can't put it back together because I beat the hell out of it taking it out. By the way this is on a tiled tub in a finished house and there's no way to get behind it to replace the plumbing unless I started ripping out walls but for some reason these people surrounded it on all sides by tile. I'll see if I could post some pictures along with this so you guys know what I'm talking about but if anybody can help me I would greatly appreciate it, like where to get the parts. Thanks for your time.

I'm trying to upload pictures but all my pictures say that they can't upload it because the server can't download that size of picture

Reaction score
Hello fellow plumbers and DIYers. I have been in the business eat it around Seattle for 20 years and I have never came across this problem before. I was changing out a tub drain and after finally getting it out with a whole lot of effort on my part I went to putty up and put the new one back in and it's too big just barely though. My entire career I thought there was only inch and a half in 2-in drains for tubs and showers, but I'm glad I'm learning something new. I just called around to Ferguson, Keller and Consolidated and nobody seems to have the parts to fix this and I can't put it back together because I beat the hell out of it taking it out. By the way this is on a tiled tub in a finished house and there's no way to get behind it to replace the plumbing unless I started ripping out walls but for some reason these people surrounded it on all sides by tile. I'll see if I could post some pictures along with this so you guys know what I'm talking about but if anybody can help me I would greatly appreciate it, like where to get the parts. Thanks for your time.

I'm trying to upload pictures but all my pictures say that they can't upload it because the server can't download that size of picture

20221108_151528.jpg
20221108_152803.jpg
20221108_152731.jpg

Reaction score
20221108_144820.jpg
20221108_151455.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The new drain you have in the picture is for a plastic shoe, you need one for the brass shoes, different size and threads.
Something like this might work, it has two thread size and patterns. One is supposed to be for the old brass drains.

westbrass-tub-drain.jpg

Last edited:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The one you removed looks to be from a Crane drain. You will need to confirm measuring the diameter and the threads per inch. Crane is 1.8"/14 T.P.I. Look at the chart to confirm. All the sizes shown have been used in tub drains.

watco-strainer-adapter-sheet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks