Uneven toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

kholmes123

Reaction score
Hi
I finished re-installing PVC Pipe and surrounding tile but the angle is wrong of the vertical pipe. From some earlier testing, I thought that a push-tite flange would allow slight angling but now that I continued the tiling and am done, I have discovered that it doesn't work. One side of the flange is sill 3/4" above the tile floor.

Is there any recourse?

Attachments

• toilet flange1.jpg
    toilet flange1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,050

kholmes123

Reaction score
4-inch? Read through this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toilet-flange-not-flat-level.69188/page-2 and see if you think the Genova Products 75158S Universal Closet Flange with Stainless Steel Ring, 4" would improve the tilt enough for you. Your tilt would seem to be more than in that thread. Let us know what happens.
s-l200.jpg
Hi. Thank you so much for the quick reply. Yes, it is 4" PVC. I see reference in the thread to the Sioux Chief. That's the one I purchased but it still left me almost an entire inch high. Things got worse after I closed up the subfloor I replaced and finished tiling. Might this Genova have more play? Does the flange have to sit more level? I have a Kohler one piece toilet

Reach4

Reaction score
Might this Genova have more play?
I don't know.

Here is an idea, which may or may not help. The flange has a pretty long tail. The long tail would limit how much adjustment the flange could make. http://www.siouxchief.com/docs/defa...n---pushtite---instruction-sheet.pdf?sfvrsn=6 tells how to extend the flange even deeper. I wonder if you could use a similar technique but instead shorten the flange considerably. Take an inch or two out of the length. This is just an idea, and I have not tried anything like that. If you try it, take pictures as you go in case you succeed.

Does the flange have to sit more level? I have a Kohler one piece toilet
Probably, but I am not sure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Whatever flange you use will need to be secured to the floor.
Sometimes the inserts need some trimming to insert where you want them. Most I have seen are longer than I want them.

sioux_chief_888-gam.jpg

Last edited:

kholmes123

Reaction score
Minor update, the total space from the ceramic tile to the bottom of the rather thick PVC flange lip is about 1/2", not 1". In addition, I took a shot at seeing if the toilet will set over the flange without rocking and it does. So it does fit into the bottom of the toilet enough to still sit flat on the floor. Will the wax seal take care of the gap and now all I have to do is secure the flange even if one side will still be high?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The problem is that those flanges that are all plastic are not all that strong. When it is screwed tight to the finished surface, it achieves an increase in strength. The thing will flex when not down tight, and if you happen to fall against the toilet, you could crack the thing (which is why the metal ring is preferred). Sealing around the toilet to the tile will help to stabilize it. As long as there is some gap between the horn of the toilet and the top of the flange, it will probably seal. If it's an interference fit, there won't be any or very little wax, and it may not seal. If a worst case, you install the wax when it is super cold (say it's winter and it just came in from freezing weather), it may be so hard that you break the flange when trying to seat the toilet.

kholmes123

Reaction score
The problem is that those flanges that are all plastic are not all that strong. When it is screwed tight to the finished surface, it achieves an increase in strength. The thing will flex when not down tight, and if you happen to fall against the toilet, you could crack the thing (which is why the metal ring is preferred). Sealing around the toilet to the tile will help to stabilize it. As long as there is some gap between the horn of the toilet and the top of the flange, it will probably seal. If it's an interference fit, there won't be any or very little wax, and it may not seal. If a worst case, you install the wax when it is super cold (say it's winter and it just came in from freezing weather), it may be so hard that you break the flange when trying to seat the toilet.

Great advice. Thanks. I will get the Genova metal push version that Reach4 had pointed me to from another thread. You all are so incredibly helpful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks