Uneven freestanding tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

S.H.B.

Reaction score
So I'm installing a freestanding fiberglass tub and the bottom is all uneven. High centered in both directions.
The manufacturer already told me to go ahead and cut off the strut in the middle.
The home owner wants it to remain, but doesn't want the 3/8 caulking bead.
My question is what would be the best solution:

1. Foam the gap, once it cures, Cut the strut connecting the long sides in the center, sand down the low points on each short side, and make the tub more even along the base, and set my mortar bed.

2. Leave it as is, with low points at each center and feet adjusted accordingly, set my mortar bed, and just live with the uneven caulking line.
Because of the curve to the base, is honestly not really visible from a standing position, but may be visible from down the hall, if the pocket door is fully opened. Probably see it getting in and off. the bed.

3. Some better option I haven't thought of..

uneven tub. 1.jpg
Picsart_22-02-23_19-17-28-687.jpg

Grandbllc

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the floor uneven or is the tub uneven? I feel like its a defective tub if its not flat on a flat floor

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is the floor uneven or is the tub uneven? I feel like its a defective tub if its not flat on a flat floor

These come from a mold, and then cut where needed. It's not a perfect science with these. I'm not a fan of freestanding tubs, it's so hard to make them look right for the install.

My mother, born before the Spanish Flu, grew up with freestanding tubs. She liked it when they came as enclosed tubs, easier to keep clean, and less worries about where the water is winding up.

It the center piece is keeping it from dropping to the floor, I would be inclined to get rid of that section.
The tub four legs, and with the center part out, and the shell can drop, it would seem to be more secure. That's my thoughts on it. :)

S.H.B.

Reaction score
The floor is perfectly flat. I even took a nice rigid pc of plywood to test it out upside down where I could get a better view. It's high centered on both of its axis

S.H.B.

Reaction score
These come from a mold, and then cut where needed. It's not a perfect science with these. I'm not a fan of freestanding tubs, it's so hard to make them look right for the install.

My mother, born before the Spanish Flu, grew up with freestanding tubs. She liked it when they came as enclosed tubs, easier to keep clean, and less worries about where the water is winding up.

It the center piece is keeping it from dropping to the floor, I would be inclined to get rid of that section.
The tub four legs, and with the center part out, and the shell can drop, it would seem to be more secure. That's my thoughts on it. :)
Yeah that makes sense to me. the home owner wants it to stay for rigidity. You don't think it will have too much flex if I cut it out?

S.H.B.

Reaction score
I guess the most important question here is how much do I charge to fix this cheapo $400 tub. Should I just tell them to buy a better one?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I guess the most important question here is how much do I charge to fix this cheapo $400 tub. Should I just tell them to buy a better one?

I'm waiting to have a good experience with a free standing tub. They do suck time. I no longer do new construction, so it's rare that I've had to work with one. The tub fillers that mount from the floors, what happens if someone puts too much pressure on them and breaks the mount at the floor?

If you remove the center part, perhaps cut that and place it on the floor where the tub can drop over the ends? Help to center the tub?
Regardless, with the rounded curve that disappears inward, what do you do with that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks