Uneven drain. Looking for options

Users who are viewing this thread

JayLo

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a shower rebuild and I was dry fitting all my floor tiles to get the layout right. I noticed that one corner of my drain is slightly too high. I remember checking its level back when I set the drain in so I'm not sure what I did to shift it. I'm trying to see what my options are outside of redoing the whole floor again. Just an FYI but this is on a concrete foundation.

This is a 3 piece drain and I was able to twist it loose from the mud bed after chipping some of it away. In the pic, you'll see that the drain I have retains some water in the lower part of it. Are there drains that are open all the way to the edge? I don't know if that's going to be a big deal in the long run if I leave it as is but I'd rather have the water not pool up like that. Other than that, the slope is good everywhere so this is the only thing stopping me from setting the tiles down.

Attachments

• IMG_5268.jpg
    IMG_5268.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

JayLo

Reaction score
After thinking about my question, I guess there can’t be a drain that’s completely open all the way around for a 4” cove, being that I have a 2” drain pipe…. If that makes sense.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WEll, let's back up a bit and talk about how the pan is created.

There are numerous ways to build a successful shower. The conventional one uses a pvc liner. Plumbing code calls for the liner (the waterproofing) to be sloped to the drain, and to get that, in a conventional shower, that means build a preslope, install the liner which is then sloped, then add a setting bed on top of the liner (parallel layer, but sloped because of what's underneath it), then your tile get installed.

So, first thing I'd do in this situation (hopefully, I'd not be in the situation where the drain pipe was not plumb, though), is to verify that the slope to the drain is proper from all directions. It should be a minimum or 1/4" per foot slope from the outer edges to the drain in all directions. Unless the drain is perfectly centered, the shorter side tends to be steeper. If it isn't, then maybe it's time to fix the pan properly, and in that process, ensure the riser is plumb, so that the drain will end up plumb, too.

A little more info on what you have would be useful.

My go-to place for tile help is www.johnbridge.com

JayLo

Reaction score
Yes, I did go the conventional route of preslope, liner, and mud on top of that. I followed the 1/4" per foot rule and everything seemed to turn out fine in that regards. Being that the drain is the screw on type, I was hoping that there would be a screw on drain that I can find which slopes in towards the hole rather than have a flat surface like mine does. I'll try that site and see what they say. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks