Understanding Fixture Units

Users who are viewing this thread

bengal21

Reaction score
Hello,
If someone could answer the following question for me it would be appreciated. And the units I am using are from the UPC.

If I have a 2" vent that can serve a total of 24 FU can I split the fixtures on opposite sides of the room into 1.5" vents (as long as each side doesn't exceed 8 FU) and tie them together into a 1.5" x 1.5" x 2" tee to run up to connect with the main stack? They would all run vertical until 6" above the flood elevation of the highest fixture.

Am I correct in summing the FU for each vent branch? i.e.

Vent one (1.5") has a total of 7 FU and Vent two (1.5") has a total of 5 FU so each vent alone is under the 8 FU for a 1.5" vent. So tying them together for a total of 12 FU in a 2" vent is acceptable because it is under 24 FU?

Thanks for all of the expert advise received. It is tremendously helpful. :D

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello,
If someone could answer the following question for me it would be appreciated. And the units I am using are from the UPC.

If I have a 2" vent that can serve a total of 24 FU can I split the fixtures on opposite sides of the room into 1.5" vents (as long as each side doesn't exceed 8 FU) and tie them together into a 1.5" x 1.5" x 2" tee to run up to connect with the main stack? They would all run vertical until 6" above the flood elevation of the highest fixture.

Vent one (1.5") has a total of 7 FU and Vent two (1.5") has a total of 5 FU so each vent alone is under the 8 FU for a 1.5" vent. So tying them together for a total of 12 FU in a 2" vent is acceptable because it is under 24 FU?

You are absolutely correct....

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I count them if I see something that just doesn't look quite right. Usually that would be every fixture in the house vented through an 1 1/2" vent.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Hello,

That is OK as long as there isn't a toilet being vented through 1 of the 11/2 vents. Toilets require a 2" vent under the UPC.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

The question is somewhat simple for a set of local vents, but the subject becomes more complex if he is merging all of these vents into a single roof penetration, because then any code requirement for the main vent comes into play. Does your code require one FULL SIZED vent all the way to the roof? Does it require that the combined AREA of all roof penetrations equal the AREA of the incoming sewer line? There could also be other local requirements.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
The question is somewhat simple for a set of local vents, but the subject becomes more complex if he is merging all of these vents into a single roof penetration, because then any code requirement for the main vent comes into play. Does your code require one FULL SIZED vent all the way to the roof? Does it require that the combined AREA of all roof penetrations equal the AREA of the incoming sewer line? There could also be other local requirements.

The UPC requires the aggregate cross section of the vents to be equal to the cross section of the main sewer. To verify the local requirement would require access to ammendments by the local jurisdiction.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Upc

That is the UPC, but the IPC may allow ANY sized penetration or use the diameters of the pipe to determine the quantity and sizes. (The IPC writers were not mathameticians").

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks