Undersink Plumbing Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

perion

Reaction score
I'm redoing some plumbing for a kitchen sink, and have a few miscellaneous questions.

- I've seen the terms "trap arm", "wall bend" and "wall tube" used to describe what I believe is the same part (i.e., the tubular pipe that connects to the J-Bend on one end and the ABS waste pipe at the other). Are these the same part?

In order to continue, I'll refer to the part I've described as the wall tube.

- There's a 2" ABS waste pipe in the wall, and I need to attach a 1/4 bend (90 degree) fitting to it. Can I use a standard 1/4 bend fitting, or is it best to use a long sweep one?

- The wall tube (which came with the P-Trap kit) has a beveled flange and a length of 7.5". I'd prefer one that's ~12", but haven't any luck finding one online. Does such a beast exist; if not, is there another way to do this without using a coupler?

Thanks ... and if you any questions about what I'm doing (I know I do), please feel free to ask.

:paul

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
In the horizontal plane, a long sweep is required for all waste piping.
A trap arm is the branch from the tee to the trap, and I suppose wall tube is the arm section of a p trap.
In chrome, there are lots of long wall tubes. I've got three 18 inch ones on my shelves. Plumbing parts stores have them.
I recommend plastic tubular p traps.
Slip joint couplings are not allowed on the end of a p trap. Off your ABS pipe extension, you can stub out with pipe to meet the p trap.

perion

Reaction score
Thanks for the response ... it was very helpful!

I plan on using a plastic tubular p-trap, which is why I was looking for a longish plastic (polypropylene) wall tube with the a beveled end. I didn't stumble across any of those online ... but I did find some which are listed as direct connect. Just out of curiosity, are those okay? Regardless, your suggestion of stubbing out to meet the p-trap sounds like the way to go.

Once again, thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks