Underneath toilet still leaking after new toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
And then here is another question. What happens to a wax ring while it’s in there. Since I believe these paper towels are touching the wax ring is it just collecting moisture from the wax ring cause the coloring on it(see pic) i put paper towels at front of toilet where there is openings due to chiseling of ceramic and they come out dry so i know there isnt a whole lot of water down there. Most people arent sliding paper towels down under toilet base unless they see leaking and the only reason i started doing that was because after toilet installed i went in bathroom to do cleanup and while doing it- there was water coming up thru tile like before, not even thinking it was still remaining water from previous toilet leak, i just assumed it was the new toilet, so started sticking paper towels in the opening at base to see. Since then all that tile water has dried up but im still sticking these paper towels in there to see whats happening. Most people dont have the opportunity to do this. The paper towels arent sopping with water, i was just wondering if they kind of stay a little moist. Cause dont they say wax rings will start leaking cause they get old, and dry. (Thot i read that) heres pic of what is was overnight from 9pm til 7am. No flushing during. That yellow on there is wax coloring or is it from the new brass bolts, they were pretty yellow. There was green dye in bowl so if bowl has crack why wouldnt i see green in leakage from overnight. Two plumbers checked meter and saw no movement when water off so assuming no leak plus this leak is nothing compared to leak i had before toilet replaced. View attachment 71538
That paper towel appears to be wet, not damp, and it would be from water. No the wax ring itself would not do that; I think you are correct and the wax seal is leaking a little and the toilet needs to be reset properly.
Since past discussions have shown that this is your only toilet I know it would not be practical but a good test would be to let it go a day without use and then do the paper towel test. However, I don't think that is neccesary because you have already shown enough evidence to indicate a leaking wax seal.

April2

Reaction score
From what I can tell from your pictures it appears that your flange is considerably lower than the tile and that your installer used an extra wax with horn wax seal, I still do not think it is thick enough to provide the proper seal.
At minimum I would add a second wax ring "stacked" as Reach4 suggested earlier.

I am glad to see that you did get the toilet replaced and it was not the nightmare that you were anticipating; this issue is relatively minor so don't sweat it too bad. I am sure your installer will get it set properly with your guidance.
Ty plumbnuts. If he were to install another ring, should it be a regular ring with horn and place on top of current or does he need to replace the one he put on and do the 2 regular ring thing, you know regular ring without horn then horned ring on top? Is wax ring protecting against a leak from lip of base horn or at closet flange area? Is it possible the height of ring isn’t surrounding base horn lip enough? What I don’t understand is the paper towels don’t get immediately wet during flush- like it flushed 6xs in a row and checked paper towels and they were pretty dry kind of maybe could feel a little moisture - like now it’s been 20 mins since last flushes and that’s all I see but I know in bout 30 more minutes I’ll see some moisture. Is it just barely dribbling down at top or base horn?

Last edited:

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
Ty plumbnuts. If he were to install another ring, should it be a regular ring with horn and place on top of current or does he need to replace the one he put on and do the 2 regular ring thing, you know regular ring without horn then horned ring on top?
Place one regular wax ring on flange then one extra thick wax ring with horn onto first wax ring. Make sure that both seals are new (they are so inexpensive it is not worth trying to reuse old ones). There is a large space there that is trying to be sealed.

April2

Reaction score
Place one regular wax ring on flange then one extra thick wax ring with horn onto first wax ring. Make sure that both seals are new (they are so inexpensive it is not worth trying to reuse old ones). There is a large space there that is trying to be sealed.
You saw pics of flange. Do you think that needed cleaning better before new put on?

April2

Reaction score
Guy called - he was willing to come over today. It’s been about an hour that I did the 6x flush and check paper towel and very little h20. He still thinks I should wait til everything dried up from previous leak but he would come out. He says he would change it to a jumbo wax ring. Pretty much told me to quit obsessing, leave it alone, leave paper towels out, enjoy my weekend, check Monday and if see wetness he’ll come over or if I can’t stop obsessing he’ll come tomorrow. I’ll try to do that. He thot the reg and thick ring idea was too much so says jumbo.

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
Guy called - he was willing to come over today. It’s been about an hour that I did the 6x flush and check paper towel and very little h20. He still thinks I should wait til everything dried up from previous leak but he would come out. He says he would change it to a jumbo wax ring. Pretty much told me to quit obsessing, leave it alone, leave paper towels out, enjoy my weekend, check Monday and if see wetness he’ll come over or if I can’t stop obsessing he’ll come tomorrow. I’ll try to do that. He thot the reg and thick ring idea was too much so says jumbo.
He has eyes on it, not me.
Sounds like he is willing to make certain it is proper so let him.
Just relax this weekend and let him handle it Monday. It is a very minor leak compared to what you were dealing with, it will keep!
Whats for supper?

April2

Reaction score
He has eyes on it, not me.
Sounds like he is willing to make certain it is proper so let him.
Just relax this weekend and let him handle it Monday. It is a very minor leak compared to what you were dealing with, it will keep!
Whats for supper?
Lol. I was just wondering the same thing.

April2

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just let you know there is still some water on paper towels but not as much. Going to wait couple more days.

April2

Reaction score
Did your installer not come out yesterday?
Also (curious) you call him an installer, is he an actual licensed plumber?
Hi there guys, sorry it took so long to update. I finally saw no wetness on paper towels around 3/6/21. So basically took 9 days for dry out time. Could have been too because tub by toilet, so when showering the pressure on standing in tub could have been pushing left behind water out towards toilet. Plumbnuts - don’t think he was licensed but sounded like he used to work for companies or still does and does this on the side. Thanks for hanging in there with me everyone!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks