Undermount sink clip recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome7

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a Kohler undermount sink K2210. My vanity cabinet currently has 5/8" plywood on top.

I'd like to put a granite counter top and attach the sink w/ some clips. The clips that came w/ the sink seems to be designed to be attached to the countertop and didn't account for the addition thickness of the plywood.

Can you please recommend a good clip system for this case? I rather not drill directly to the counter top

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you'd be better off with a second layer of ply underneath the stone tile and that should be thick enough to use screws. But, that depends entirely on how thick the granite top is... most slabs don't need any ply underneath, and if you do have it, it can make the edges much harder to hide the edges of the ply. A larger gauge screw can overcome the lack of depth. You typically also use silicon to bond the sink to the countertop, and once that cures, the clips end up more as clamps to initially hold it in place, but not as much to holding it in place after things cure.

When I had granite countertops made (not a prefab), the fabricator cut T-slots in the bottom of the slab to hold the clips. Depending on how thick the slab is, you could use a good epoxy or drill in, use epoxy to hold a threaded insert. Some more info on what you have might provide a better answer.

Jerome7

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't understand what you imply by having 2 layers of plywood. The picture shows what I have.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 328

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Originally, it wasn't clear if the ply was set on top of the cabinet, or flush or reset (it appears to be reset). Most slabs are strong enough and the span isn't long enough, so that they can just be caulked to the top of the cabinet. Your sink needs to attach to the bottom of the slab, so the hole must be large enough, and it might make it harder to get any clips in. It appears that there would be a gap between the bottom of the slab and the top of the ply, so your screws could be slightly longer and not impact the stone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks