Underlayment nail length?

Users who are viewing this thread

thunderhead

Reaction score
I am putting down some 1/4" underlayment. The directions for it say not to use nails that will go all the way through the flooring. My floor is 3/4" plus 1/4" underlayment. The shortest nails I can find are 1 1/4". Is there a problem with the nails being too long? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They do make some shorter nails for that. Problems you can have with long nails? Sometimes you hit plumbing pipes or wiring if the nails are too long.

grip-rite-underlayment.jpg

thunderhead

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, My local Menards only have them to 1 1/4. If hitting something is the only problem I am ok. I was not sure if maybe the exposed nails might wick water or something else.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's useful, if you aren't going to hit something below, if the full diameter of the nail shank penetrates the materials. Especially if you're using ring-shank nails, that gives you the most grip verses that part of the nail point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks