Underground wire and conduit

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I know codes are different everywhere but speaking of the majority of codes, if I run my wire underground inside of conduit, do I still need to use underground wire? Or can I use regular wire?

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Conduit isn't rated for non metallic cable (Doesn't matter if its weatherproof or not). Instead use stranded cable. Get three spools of THHN, one green, one back, and either white for 120V or red for 240V and pull those through the conduit.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use submersible pump cable inside the well. From there to the control box, it's individual strands of THHN, inside of conduit. The splice from the sub wire to THHN is made inside of The well head. This is considered a "wet location" according to the National Electrical Code (NEC). This means that regular wire nuts are not permitted. It has to be water resistant wire nuts (the jelly filled ones). Same if you use Polaris connectors. Or you can use a waterproof splice kit. My electrical inspector checks this and will cite me for regular wirenuts. Also if the casing is metalic, it has to be grounded. From the start box back to the breaker panel is also run in conduit. Unless it's inside a wall in residential construction. Then it can be romex.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
7841D7FA-63A4-4776-9710-B7F7A465B26C.jpeg
7841D7FA-63A4-4776-9710-B7F7A465B26C.jpeg

Existing breaker panel in shop. Added breaker for pump. Orange romex is inside wall to box, then out to metallic flex into VFD control box. Pvc Conduit then goes thru the wall to exterior of building. Then under ground 30-40 ft to well. Thhn wire still have to be pulled into the pvc conduit. This is for a 503 grow operation (pot farm)

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
08134D65-3EEE-4E62-9FD4-0F6117069373.jpeg
0353348F-58C2-47B8-AD22-813D3AD6FF6A.jpeg

pump house for a church. Underground power from 800 amp service in chapel to subpanel in pump house. All surface mount conduit in pump house. Chlorine injection system and contact tank. Chlorine is only injected during regen of treatment system. This is to eliminate potential of iron bacteria fouling of water treatment media. Water treatment for removal of iron and manganese

Last edited:

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Wow Mr Boyce, that’s a ton of information. I appreciate your time in putting that together. But actually, my application is much simpler and doesn’t even have to do with a well. I want to install a 4x4 post in my wife’s flower garden with a receptacle on it. I’ll run the wire from my garage about 100’.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Out here, we put all underground wiring in conduit, even if it’s rated for direct burial. Why? Rodent protection and ease of replacement

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks