Underground services requirements

Users who are viewing this thread

jdz

Reaction score
I have always been told that all services for a house must be run underground if the other services are. Example, my power is underground so my telephone service must also run underground. Is this true? If so, does anyone know the code that requires it? I’m having issues with my phone company.

Stuff

Reaction score
Maybe a local or power company rule. Around here the telephone company will do an aerial if there is a pole unless you spec otherwise.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have always been told that all services for a house must be run underground if the other services are. Example, my power is underground so my telephone service must also run underground. Is this true? If so, does anyone know the code that requires it? I’m having issues with my phone company.
I presume they want to charge a lot of money, and you want the line burial for no additional charge.

I think it will come down to how much you want the underground service. If it were phone only, you could go wireless.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There are no requirements for phone/cable to be either way, unless it is a local municipal requirement. Burial is a "customer pay" option for any utility service here.

jdz

Reaction score
The current, no longer usable “ line is buried. I want the replacement line buried as well. Many years ago I went through some training for this stuff and I remember this being brought up and everyone hating this rule/ code because they didn’t want to bury something that could be hung in a matter of minutes. I just need to find that info

jdz

Reaction score
I presume they want to charge a lot of money, and you want the line burial for no additional charge.

I think it will come down to how much you want the underground service. If it were phone only, you could go wireless.

Money has never been mentioned

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks