Underground leak

Users who are viewing this thread

web1944

Reaction score
I exposed a 3-4 inch section of an underground water line. QUESTION: How certain can I be that there is no leak within 2 or 3 feet of the exposed pipe, if there is no indication that the soil at the exposed pipe is no wetter than any of the soil I removed to expose the pipe? If there is a leak within 2-3 feet, shouldn't I see some water at the exposed section, if I let it sit overnight?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I wouldn't bet on it. Water is sneaky stuff, and doesn't always flow the way you would expect it to. If you call a commercial leak-detecting outfit (I used Sleuth in Tampa:http://www.sleuthpt.com/leakdetection.htm) they can pinpoint a leak, even under a slab, to within a few inches. Cost me a couple hundred bucks, as I remember, and well worth it.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why don't you just fix the leak you know about and see if everything dries out.

web1944

Reaction score
I don't know where the leak is and there is no concrete involved....just wanted to know the possibility of seeing water within 2-3 feet of a leak.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
It depends how large the leak is. A pinhole leak will not travel very far underground. A mainline leak will flood your entire yard. What kind of leak do you have? Is it a supply line leak or a drain leak? How do you even know you have a leak? Is your water bill high?

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Is this copper,old Galvy,plastic? Please give Us as Much info as possible.
Are You in a frost zone 5'deep ,or 18" in Ca.? I would use My torch to dry out what pipe You have exposed all ready. You MAY see where the water is flowing from! Then dig towards that direction. If this helps, please do the following.!
Please some paper in a Salvation Army Kettle. Merry Christmas ,:)Tool

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Did I come in in the middle of this story? Did you dig BECAUSE you had a leak? If so, what clues caused you to dig where you did?

It is true that water MAY follow the pipe, because the pipe is laid in disturbed soil, so this may be the easiest path. But if it has been buried for many years, that may not work, and it may go in the other direction!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks