Underground Horizontal ABS to Cast Iron

Users who are viewing this thread

TeamTeo

Reaction score
Terry and everyone...

Another thread here https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-do-i-join-2-75-cast-pipe-to-3-inch-pvc-tee.53671/ you suggest a copper to CI mission coupling. The OP of the thread appears to be speaking of an above-ground connection.

My question is exact to the other poster's question. The project I have is in a house built in the 60's in Southern California. The buried drain line in a "3in. cast iron pipe". I have to relocate the toilet drain. A section about 6 feet is damaged anyhow and is being replaced with 3 in. ABS. In this case, as is the case with the referenced thread, the cast iron is approx. 2 3/4 in. I.D. and 3 1/4 in. O.D. Obviously current 3 in. ABS in not the same sizes, inside or outside.

Current Mission product offerings do not have a compatible coupling. Our major plumbing supply here is White Cap. I don't know if you have ever heard of them or not, but would I be asking for the same Copper to CI Mission Coupling you reference in the other thread?

BTW, this section pipe is mid-stream, between the furthest clean out and the rest of the house. It's all in one straight line with only single fixtures branching off. So, this section goes from the 60's 3in. CI to 3in. ABS and back to 3in. 60's CI.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score

TeamTeo

Reaction score

Smooky -

Thanks for your reply. However, none of these products fit the job. The Home Depot product is for above ground only, and the other two (according to Mission Rubber) are not appropriate either.

TeamTeo

Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mission_bandseal.jpg

Plumbing inspectors have allowed these below ground always.
They don't allow your rubber coupling above ground though.
I imagine the water service to your home was connected with stainless steel clamps too.

I can't begin to tell you how many groundworks I've used the stainless steel wrapped couplings on. I don't bother with the "all rubber" couplings, which can only be used underground. And by the way have stainless clamps.

The stainless will outlast any cast you have in the ground. Cast iron does rust through.

Some of the old cast iron is smaller than the new no-hub cast iron. That's why I use the copper sizing for a lot of the old stuff.

Last edited:

TeamTeo

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I wish the cast iron would all get replaced now but that's not happening now unfortunately. However, the cast iron looks to be in great shape and still has a nice thick side wall as well. Hopefully it will last quite some time still.

Just to clarify the Band Seal product you have directed me to. Are the ones I need specifically from the copper to plastic product line? That would be the Mission PK33? The O.D. of the old cast iron is 3 1/4 inch and the ABS is 3 1/2 in.

Thanks again!

Reach4

Reaction score
That would be the Mission PK33? The O.D. of the old cast iron is 3 1/4 inch and the ABS is 3 1/2 in.
Looking at http://www.missionrubber.com/Products/BandSealCouplings.php, it seems that CK 33 is for cast iron to Kopper. The CP 33 is for cast iron to Plastic.

https://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings/proflex-couplings says their 3000-33 is equivalent to Mission CP 33 and the dimensions for that are 3.37 in. and 3.52 in.

Their CK 33 equivalent would be 3001-33, and dimensions are 3.32 in. by 3.06 in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks