Underground Fittings for 2" HDPE from well

Users who are viewing this thread

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
What fittings should I be using on the 2" HDPE pipe that will be running from the pitless on my well to my house?

Ideally I would like to install a pair of tees for some frost-free hydrants.

Thanks,

John

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's IPS, fittings are going to cost a small fortune for 2".

Are you actually running a pump that can move 50gpm?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Personally, I would use butt fusion fittings and a Macelroy fusion machine. The machines can be rented. I think it costs me $40 or $60 a day to rent the fusion machine. A 2" male adapter with stainless steel threads will cost under $20. I've picked up a used press and facer, just need to buy the heating plate.

You can also use Harco Philmac compression fittings. These plastic fittings are actually quite reasonable. A 2" male adapter will cost $25-50. An equivalent brass fitting will cost 2-3 times this much. I have used both the Harco and the brass fittings.

I did a project a couple of years ago for a church. The specs were for 2" hdpe or 2" copper. About 200 feet long. I used the hdpe and butt fused everything except where I tied into the existing 2" copper pipe at the old well. There, I used a brass copper tube size compression female adapter screwed into a Harco philmac compression male adapter.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's IPS, fittings are going to cost a small fortune for 2".

Are you actually running a pump that can move 50gpm?

The pump can move 25GPM and will eventually be supplying a farm. The diameter is for pressure drop. We're using an existing well that's not conveniently located. I'm pricing out a new well, which may be a better solution.

--John

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pump can move 25GPM and will eventually be supplying a farm. The diameter is for pressure drop. We're using an existing well that's not conveniently located. I'm pricing out a new well, which may be a better solution.

At 25gpm you'd only lose 2psi per 100ft with 1-1/4", half that with 1-1/2". 2" is a substantial up-size you'd need .5+ mile runs to see benefits.

I prefer using HDPE for frost depth lines but when you get into the larger sizes cost leans heavily in favor of PVC.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
At 25gpm you'd only lose 2psi per 100ft with 1-1/4", half that with 1-1/2". 2" is a substantial up-size you'd need .5+ mile runs to see benefits.

I prefer using HDPE for frost depth lines but when you get into the larger sizes cost leans heavily in favor of PVC.

The numbers I have are double. 4psi/100ft with 1-1/4, 2psi/100ft with 1-1/2. Combined with the desired output pressure and pump capacity, 1-1/2" is sufficient but 1-1/4" will drop the system pressure.

Reach4

Reaction score
DR11 PE4710 IPS 2"
Why did you use that? Did you get a great deal on surplus pipe?

Standard for home wells is D2239 spec SIDR pipe. For that, the ID stays the same and the OD changes with different wall thickness. Thus barbs fit different weight pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks