Underground copper gas line

Users who are viewing this thread

seth1981

Reaction score
I have a copper gas line running from the crawl space, under the backyard, and up into the garage (vertically thru the concrete floor).

When I bought the house, an inspector told me it wasn't to code and I should cap it. I have not yet done this. There are shutoffs for the line in crawl space and in the garage at the termination.

Both the takeoff (in crawl space) and capped termination (in garage) are done in black pipe. In the crawl space the copper line dives straight down into the dirt ground, apparently not in any protective tubing.

While this may be a current code violation, imagine the line is older than the code restriction, as the garage is probably ~40 years old.

I've never opened the shutoff for the line as I fear the copper line could be leaking and i wouldn't know since it's underground. I don't use gas in the garage, but I'd leave it in place if it's not regarded as 'dangerous'. I could test the line to see if it holds pressure if it wasn't in fact a blatant code violation.

The question is - is this likely a safe or unsafe run? Should I just disconnect and cap the 3/4" black pipe line leading to the copper? I'm comfortable doing this, and it would be easy to do.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have never seen a copper gas line in practice. I see other plumbers have read this, and are also reluctant to comment.
The one issue I see is that since it's really never done, does that confuse people in the future, not knowing it's a gas line and assuming it's a water line. If it's water coming out, that's pretty obvious. Gas isn't so obvious. They do put a chemical in the gas so that you can smell it, though with COVID, there are a few people out there that wouldn't notice that.
My sister that has had COVID didn't realize it for days that one of her dogs had pooped in the house. She didn't smell it but finally did see it. It was a pretty nasty discovery for her. That and forgetting how to make her favorite dishes suddenly.

If you aren't using the line, it may be a good idea to cap after the gas valve in the crawl space.
Or maybe before the gas valve.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
dumb question , if you haven't opened valve What makes you so sure its gas and or that its live? but in any case I wouldn't have any pipe pressurized that's abandoned . even water for what ? just to leak . and an old gas line underground all the more. I would kill any underground pipe before it goes underground the closer to source the better no live pipes go unused

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
UPC chapter 12 allows for the use of copper pipe as long as the supplied gas has a low hydrogen sulfide content. I’ve done a few here in Seattle, for fire pits or outbuilding hook ups. Braised IPS adapters on the end, spray paint the piping yellow, under 18” deep. Passed inspection every time.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes copper can be used. I dont care if its legal or not or whether it was installed to code 40 years ago. If the pipe isnt needed or wanted why leave a live gas line under your slab? but as far as being legal just a few days ago a guy posted picture of his basement with soft copper coming down and it was running at 2 psi with regulator below legal maybe The gas company relocated the meter from basement to above ground evedently didnt bother them any

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
The other alternative for outdoor work is poly with rigid risers or you could completely sleeve and vent csst but that is even more work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks