Under sink water filters--questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Loosie

Reaction score
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but...

I'm planning on having an under sink water filter installed at my new pad. Because it's a rental and there's no particular water threat I know of* I'd like to limit the investment to a couple hundred bucks. *Philadelphia city water.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a brand/model that gives good performance and value. I'd rather not deal with the expense/size/complexity of RO models, but would if necessary.

Building rules dictate a plumber install, so I'm not limited to DIY kits.

Thank you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF it is just for drinking water, almost any filter body will work as long as you get the proper element for what you want to do, but RO units are NOT "complex" to install, and might be even easier than a filter if you have an opening on the sink.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The cartridge type filter shown on this link is the simplest way to add a filter. You can install two in line where the first filter would be a sediment filter and the second a charcoal filter. Some will install two charcoal filters. For city water sediment filter is usually not needed.

Just note that with this type of setup your using the filtered water for washing, etc. The filter cartridges are usually good for about 750-1000 gallons. When installing them they need to be mounted off the bottom of the cabinet so you can drop the housing to replace the cartridges. In old cities and buildings where lead in the water is a concern, there are cartridge filters that claim to remove lead. All charcoal filters are the same, none work better than others. The only difference is how much charcoal is packed into one. More charcoal a longer useful life.

https://www.google.com/search?q=und...8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=ifK1X4DS4nFfDM:

Last edited:

Loosie

Reaction score
All charcoal filters are the same, none work better than others.

I was starting to suspect this. The number of specified NSF standards met (42, 53 and others) seem to vary widely though. Perhaps it is as simple as paying for testing is expensive and has diminishing marketing returns?

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some charcoal filters are GAC and some are carbon block. Big difference I think.

Reach4

Reaction score
Which one is better?
Carbon block has more backpressure but is more effective.
GAC (granulated activated carbon) has less backpressure but less filtering.
I expect there are others too.

Another aspect of cartridge filters is radial flow (usually outside to inside), and others are axial flow (long ways). Carbon block are often axial flow. In the bottom of the cartridge and out the top usually. So a longer path, and that makes for even more backpressure. There is more to know, but these terms might help you search further. I would think that a carbon block would be better for filling a water glass, because the flow for that does not need to be big.

I don't have a cartridge carbon filter. I do have a special kind of backwashing carbon filter for the whole house.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Here are the standards explained with filter ratings.
http://info.nsf.org/Certified/DWTU/listings_leadreduction.asp?ProductFunction=053|Lead+Reduction&ProductFunction=058|Lead+Reduction&ProductType=&submit2=Search

In the retail stores it is now difficult to find carbon block cartridges. They didn’t last as long since sediment in the water usually plugged them up before the carbon itself was depleated. Glandular one were very good but to keep the price point low, now most of what you find is carbon impregnated into a spun fiber material. Little back pressure but a shorter life span.

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/cartridges/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks