Under sink vent not venting

Users who are viewing this thread

ztnark

Reaction score
I put two different types of undersink vents on this line. Neither one allows the sinks to drain quickly. I was beginning to think I had a blockage somewhere down the line, until I unscrewed the vent. I filled the sink and it drained in seconds. This is the second undersink vent I installed and neither one gives the system enough air. Is there something inherently wrong with my piping configuration? Thanks in advance for your input.

Attachments

• 20230521_134413_copy_1200x1600.jpg
    20230521_134413_copy_1200x1600.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 109

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
1- the configuration for a sink drain and vent is wrong. The trap should travel horizontally until it meets the vertical drain with the vent atop a san tee.

2- the fact that when you took the vent off is not an indication that the vent isn't working, to the contrary, its evidence that it is working properly, to keep sewer gases out of your living space. And its likely evidence that you have a clog down the drain and that is why your sink is draining slowly. The water is attempting to displace air in the drain, but the clog is preventing that from happening.

ztnark

Reaction score
Thank you, so if I follow your explaination correctly is this configuration what you mean?

Attachments

• 20230522_185718_copy_1200x1600.jpg
    20230522_185718_copy_1200x1600.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 88

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes! Exactly that. I like to have a cleanout fitting just above the san tee on the vent, so that if someone has to snake their kitchen drain, they can have the cable down the vent and the kitchen sink water running to flush the line at the same time without spillage (at least a lot less)

ztnark

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your help. I'll reconfigure it and see how it goes. Much appreciated

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you, so if I follow your explaination correctly is this configuration what you mean?
Nice drawing. Note that a drain line at 45 degrees is still considered vertical for this purpose. That is not true for the AAV, however I think the AAV needs to be within 15 degrees of plumb.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks