Under Sink Shut-off Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

marshallized

Reaction score
Hi,
When choosing a shut-off valve I see the outlet connection comes in either an 3/8" or 1/2" connection. How do I choose which one to get?. Is their any reason to choose one over the other?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We mostly use 3/8" compression stops on the outlet side.
My supplier doesn't stock 1/2" IP stops and a few 1/2 compression stops.

flange_03.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The sizes available include 3/8 and 1/2 flare, 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2 compression, and 7/16 + 1/2 slip joint=1/2 ips thread. Valves and supply lines are available in all of those. BUT....the trade has widely settled on 3/8 compression as the size of choice. Since the actual flex supply tubes are pretty much all the same ID, there is no practical reason to use a larger size fitting if you are starting all new.

Because of this de-facto standardization, there is the widest availability of valves, lines, accessories, adapters,etc. in 3/8 compression. Any other size, choices are limited and harder to find.

marshallized

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

Sometimes it seem like when doing a simple project their are to many options available to accomplish the same thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks