Under sink Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Addison

Reaction score
Hi All,
I need some advice and guidance from all you experts!
As you can see the plumbing under my sink, my question is in regards to the dishwasher drain. Its hard to tell, but the DW drain on the branch piece is slightly above the discharge level after the P trap. My question is, i know normal configuration places the DW drain on the tailpiece of the sink strainer, but does the configuration pose any issues?

I have not had any issues with the DW draining, and the drain tube has a high loop to prevent backflow, but would it be better to redo the plumbing underneath to raise the DW drain more?

Also, if it would be better to change things around, would it make sense (or would there be nay issues) would placing the DW branch horizontally where the red arrow/circle is?

Thanks all for the support in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5659_2.jpg
    IMG_5659_2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_7917.jpg
    IMG_7917.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 198

Reach4

Reaction score
That flex line in the horizontal is probably avoidable.

Your second picture where you have the dishwasher drain hose tied higher is better than the first. Tie that hose as high as practical.

Some branch tailpieces have the branch higher. Brasscraft 829-013 is plastic.
2f841c23-bfd6-40bc-8528-e30123193753_1.a04486d75cf809f6e9b71823bb1b6f5b.jpeg

Many brass branch tailpiece extensions have the branch higher.
Query
You can mix brass and plastic in slip drain fittings.

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The accordion (flex connection) is amazing incubator for all types of bacteria as the folds are impossible to remove grease, soap scum , food particles and crud

It is bad enough when installers place them on a basin waste but where food preparation takes place is unconscionable

By the way if a so called plumber did the installation you may have a great opportunity to sue them even if a handyman did it they are liable for anyone getting sick

High moisture levels common to areas around kitchen sinks create optimal conditions for bacteria to thrive. In fact, it’s been estimated that a kitchen sink may contain more bacteria than your bathroom sink.

Some common forms of harmful bacteria found in kitchen sinks include:

• Salmonella – Kitchen sinks regularly exposed to fresh produce, raw meat, eggs, or dairy products have an elevated risk of carrying salmonella bacteria, which can cause dangerous gastrointestinal illnesses.
  • E. coli – Sinks can carry e. Coli bacteria, which can also cause some very serious gastrointestinal illnesses, some of which can be fatal.
  • Staph – Staph thrives in moist conditions, and the area around a kitchen sink is optimal for their propagation. Staph can cause a host of illnesses, including wound infections, toxic shock, pneumonia, and food poisoning.

These are very easy lawsuits to win going against the installer , the manufacturers are harder to get as most are in foreign countries

Addison

Reaction score
Hi Reach! The first image i did not tie the drain hose up yet; but the second was a finished photo. Great idea on the branch tailpiece that is higher up! Ill have to look into that!

Addison

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Sylvan!
Would everyone agree to just remove the accordion connection and just replace it with a straight piece?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks