Under kitchen sink advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrosenb

Reaction score
I just replumbed under the kitchen sink. The ground wires from the disposal and dishwasher were clamped to the copper supply lines as seen in the photo. I understand this is no good and should be instead be clamped within 5ft of the main supply in the basement. Can I connect the two appliance grounds together so I can run 1 wire to the basement? How should I do that? If I connect the grounds from the appliances, does that have to be in a junction box?

Attachments

• IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1170 2.jpg
    IMG_1170 2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 97

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Surprised no one answered this after three weeks. It's the first time I've seen this post.

Obviously this is an old home probably built before 1965 and it is all two wire without a ground (green wire). First problem is it was clamped to the hot water line, it should have been the cold. Using copper pipe for a ground or it needs to be grounded is no longer to code. Problem is too many old homes with repairs, CPVC or PEX pipe might be used in place of copper, therefore no ground.

The best you can do here is run new 14/3 (15amp) or 12/3 (20amp) to the breaker panel. If you can run a ground wire, you should be able to run new NMC.

Another way is eliminate the ground wires and install a GFCI (it must be labeled no ground) and change both the DW and disposal with plugs.

The 5 foot rule for a ground connection to a copper pipe is for an electrical panel grounding from the pipe structure entrance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks