Uncooked rice in disposer

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike6f

Reaction score
Normally nothing phases our disposer and drain, but cleaning out all the cupboards and pantry I went too far. The oldest of three opened bottles of Kyro syrup stalled the disposer, as did a bottle lid that fell in with a batch of produce. Those were easy fixes, fishing out the cap with chop sticks and resetting the thermal breaker, but what stopped everything and remains stopped up in the drain is the half a bag of uncooked rice that sure looked like it was going right down.

Nothing seems to touch uncooked rice, the trap was so jammed when I took it out I had to dig the rice out with a fork. and still almost no flow with the trap cleared.

I put the trap back in and ran a few inches of water into the sinks, dropped about half an inch in an hour. Repeated this a few times. Four passes of two types of Liquid Plumber, more water, hot water, cold water, bottle of the Eunique bio stuff, more water, and ran as much of a cheap 25' snake in with the trap half removed.

Other half of the bottle of bio stuff is in the system all of tonight, with another test in the morning, then the old ABS P trap is getting cut off and I give the snake a better angle and try it again.

Time for a pro, or am I doing something obviously wrong like too small of a snake (typical Home Depot 25' $25 snake), and what should I tell the drain guy on the phone to make sure he can fix it?

Thanks.

ABS trap has a leak on the drain side threaded connection, maybe a crack, hard to see, so I bought a tubular poly to replace it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I had to re-check the date on your post... pretty close to April 1.

You really should start putting most of the stuff that you are putting down the disposal into the trash.

As to where to go from there, that is tough. Are you a renter?

Mike6f

Reaction score
Not a renter, in a condo assoc so no composting, and I hate the idea of food waste going into a landfill, but I hear what you are saying. I doubt my basic behavior will change much, but no more uncooked rice.

Bio stuff didn't seem to do anything over night, so once the water drains down I'm cutting out the old trap and giving my baby snake another try.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not a renter, in a condo assoc so no composting, and I hate the idea of food waste going into a landfill, but I hear what you are saying. I doubt my basic behavior will change much, but no more uncooked rice.
Do you flush wipes and sanitary napkins down the toilet? Not the same thing, but even for food, it has to get a lot of processing. Many solid waste dumps collect methane. Actually, I had initially thought that you had put bottles into the disposal intentionally, but I just re-read and see that was an accident. That is why I initially thought you might be joking.
Bio stuff didn't seem to do anything over night, so once the water drains down I'm cutting out the old trap and giving my baby snake another try.
Kitchen traps are often not glued in, but instead are "slip" connections to a trap adapter. Those are a lot easier to deal with. You might post a photo of what you have at the wall.

Stuff

Reaction score
Not a renter, in a condo assoc so no composting, and I hate the idea of food waste going into a landfill, but I hear what you are saying.

So everything goes down the drain along with gallons of treated chlorinated water. It gets pumped through the sewage processing facility and gets separated out as sludge. The sludge then gets treated through various processes. Finally the "dry" sludge gets trucked to the landfill. Some like to pretend that it turns into fertilizer.

Mike6f

Reaction score
Angels must watch over fools, drain is running clear again.

I cut out the old ABS P trap, note the very nice $17 Rigid ABS cutter needs more room to swing the handle than exists under my sink, so had to use a hacksaw. Looks like running the snake through the drain side buggered the threaded seal to the rest of the trap causing my leak. Not wanting to repeat that my son and I ran our old cheap snake back down directly into the drain without any of the new trap parts.

Around 15 or so feet in the snake kinked at the same spot as the other day, which left a permanent bend in the coil, meaning it will never reliably go farther in. We didn't stop though an keeping the kink as straight as I could ran the drill, kudos to my aging Metabo cordless, for about 5 minutes and then pulled the cable out doubting anything was fixed.

Since I thought we would be running a better snake through in the morning, almost bought the Ryobi at Home Depot, but it was out of stock, which made me check their tool rentals and found a Super Vee for $27/4 hrs as a next step, I put the new trap in without cement using a drip pan instead.

Turned on the water to test, and seems clear. I ran 5 min of cold, 10 or so of hot, then filled an 8qt pot twice and dumped it. Seems fine, in the morning I will cement in the new drain connection and start cleaning up the mess.

Thanks for all your help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Good deal. Maybe the drain flies will do the remainder.

About that ABS cementing, if the only thing you are cementing is a drain adapter, that could be better. Maybe post a photo.

Mike6f

Reaction score
Tubular P trap purchased from Baird and Crockett, local real plumbers supply, and they offered me a can of the same Oatley blue label cement that I already have. Trap I think is marked PVC, but its black, and the drain attachment piece, looks like a coupler, but trap side is threaded for a slip fitting, may be ABS.

So far no leaks without the cement, but I don't want to jinx finishing it.

Pretty sure this is it.
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/tubular-p-trap-kit-abs-poly-1-1-2inch-od-component-parts.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is it.
Good deal. The thing on the lower left of the photo is a trap adapter. The rest of the stuff uses slip joints, so you can take it apart as needed.
tubular-p-trap-kit-abs-poly-1-1-2inch-od-component-parts.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks