Unable to properly install slip-on Danco tub spout with diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike A

Reaction score
Hi all -- First, assume that I know basically nothing. Apologies for that.

I'm trying to replace a tub spout with the Danco universal. Looks like I have a slip-on situation.

danco-spout-01.jpg

Here is the copper pipe:

danco-spout-02.jpg

The issue is that I believe I'm unable to put the setup shown below together as specified in the instructions because the adapter (bottom) does not actually fit into the nipple extender.

danco-spout-03.jpg

Like not even close:

danco-spout-04.jpg

So, chances are i'm doing something wrong but it appears to me that my parts are messed up! Just putting the nipple extender on the copper pipe and turning water on (with diversion to shower) results in massive leakage out the back of the spout. So, do I fundamentally need this adapter piece?

If not, do I need to drill out this hole in the plastic so the set screw can go through and tighten directly against the copper pipe?

danco-spout-05.jpg

Thanks for any help!
Mike

Reach4

Reaction score
Does that copper pipe flare out at the end, preventing the adapter from slipping on? If so, you might hit that with a file or emery cloth.

If you are saying that the two pieces of plastic are not going together, then I have no idea.

Mike A

Reaction score
Does that copper pipe flare out at the end, preventing the adapter from slipping on? If so, you might hit that with a file or emery cloth.

If you are saying that the two pieces of plastic are not going together, then I have no idea.

Yeah, it's the plastic issue. The nipple extender slips on to the copper pipe fairly easily when grease is applied.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think that the plastic is likely flexible enough so that you can just tighten it up against the plastic and that would help clamp it to the copper underneath. There may be a min/max length of the copper sticking out of the wall. Most of those adapters have an O-ring in them to make the seal. It appears that the spout then screws onto the plastic adapter.

Many of the slip-on tub spouts don't use an adapter, and the setscrew just clamps up against the copper. Do you have a link to the manufacturer's info on the spout you have? That would often have the instructions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks