Uh oh, please help - changed water heater and 1/2 pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Motlot77

Reaction score
I switched out an old water heater (15 yrs old prolly) and installed a new one, same size - 50 gallon.

when I was sweating the new water feed in place i used a couple small pieces of paper towel to block the water flow...DUMB!!! i know, I know. well it didn't work so then I got some bread and shoved a few pieces in there to block it as well.

well now the hot water pressure is 1/2 of what it was. it's just the HOT WATER ONLY. the cold is working just fine.

did I plug the line? I don't believe so cuz the cold runs perfectly. not sure what to do.

thanks for the help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is YES. SOme paper towels are like cloth - they just won't degrade or dissolve. Now, how to get them out is the question.

Motlot77

Reaction score
Any easy idea on how to do this?

The cold flow is perfect though...how could this be if I blocked the line?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It spit the stuff into the tank, then it clogged up the outlet. OR, you were lucky, OR it just hasn't worked its way into a place where it could clog anything yet.

Coz

Reaction score
uh oh

is it low at every fixture? if so, its blocked at the tank. if its just one or 2 fixtures you can pull the supply tube off and see if its blocked at the stop or in the faucet. then if its at the stop you can usually clean it out with a piece of solder but if its in the faucet you can pull the stem and turn on the stop and clear it there . usually the stem gets clogged up when you do that. Next time drain water better even if you have to open everything up and shop vac it. you could chase this thing for a while.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
brand of water heater

if you have a Richmond, GE or Rheem, they all have CHECK BALLS

inside the nipples going into the water heater to keep the heat in..

you might have clogged one of those up and it will most likely

involve taking it apart again...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Mark, I either remove the traps or change the nips when I install a heater that has them. I never leave them in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks