UB90-100 Leak at bottom of HX

Users who are viewing this thread

Jjvirginia

Reaction score
Came home two nights ago and found a small puddle on the floor at the corner of the boiler. Boiler was installed in 2008, not quite 14 yrs old. First 5 years the tech who installed it maintained it, then he left the company. Back when this was installed, there were many opinions about antifreeze in the system, and I think the tech was told by home office not to add glycol.

I flushed all my zones every other year, full turnover of the water as that is what the tech told me to do to maintain proper PH. I'm on a well and iron is 14 grains and I bring that down to 2 with a water softener.

Now I read antifreeze is required for aluminum HX. I can't tell if the leak is a pin hole in the metal or a blown gasket as the leak is close to the mating surfaces of the HX and since it is on the bottom, I can only see so much with my inspection mirror. I'm losing about 1.5 pints per day. Tonight I tried JB Weld StickMetal, scuffed up the surface with wire wheel, and the stuff kept falling off - garbage. For now, I have Permatex HT applied which has stopped the leak.

I am pretty good with turning wrenches and cleaned my boiler each year for the next 6 yrs, including removing the condensate trap and brushing out the fins once I lost my good tech. I have a new company servicing it now because it makes things easier as my time is limited, and the cost of servicing is reasonable.

I am considering replacing just the HX and I would like to do this job myself and then have a company come in and pump antifreeze in the system (PH is currently 7.8). I have a pool and some very good testing kits.

I realize the warranty on the new HX would be out the window and I'm fine with that. I don't like the idea of putting in another aluminum HX because I had doubts 14 years ago when I pulled the trigger on this unit but I'll only be in the house another 5 yrs max.

Is it possible to buy just the HX, and if so, do you think any dealer would sell me one knowing I plan to install, what do these things cost? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay $5k for a replacement unit with installation? Trying to determine the cost of different options. What if I have a tech come out and replace the HX if they won't sell me one, expected cost of this?

If I do go with a new unit, I would prefer to stay away from aluminum. I would like to stay with a condensing boiler since my annual propane bill dropped from $5,200 to $2,800 when the old cast iron WH spilled it's guts out on the cellar floor 14 yrs ago.

Knowing the above, is stainless steel a better option in terms of reliability? I know I lose a little on the heat transfer side but I am not sure I want another aluminum HX if I go with a new system.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Came home two nights ago and found a small puddle on the floor at the corner of the boiler. Boiler was installed in 2008, not quite 14 yrs old. First 5 years the tech who installed it maintained it, then he left the company. Back when this was installed, there were many opinions about antifreeze in the system, and I think the tech was told by home office not to add glycol.

I flushed all my zones every other year, full turnover of the water as that is what the tech told me to do to maintain proper PH. I'm on a well and iron is 14 grains and I bring that down to 2 with a water softener.

Now I read antifreeze is required for aluminum HX. I can't tell if the leak is a pin hole in the metal or a blown gasket as the leak is close to the mating surfaces of the HX and since it is on the bottom, I can only see so much with my inspection mirror. I'm losing about 1.5 pints per day. Tonight I tried JB Weld StickMetal, scuffed up the surface with wire wheel, and the stuff kept falling off - garbage. For now, I have Permatex HT applied which has stopped the leak.

I am pretty good with turning wrenches and cleaned my boiler each year for the next 6 yrs, including removing the condensate trap and brushing out the fins once I lost my good tech. I have a new company servicing it now because it makes things easier as my time is limited, and the cost of servicing is reasonable.

I am considering replacing just the HX and I would like to do this job myself and then have a company come in and pump antifreeze in the system (PH is currently 7.8). I have a pool and some very good testing kits.

I realize the warranty on the new HX would be out the window and I'm fine with that. I don't like the idea of putting in another aluminum HX because I had doubts 14 years ago when I pulled the trigger on this unit but I'll only be in the house another 5 yrs max.

Is it possible to buy just the HX, and if so, do you think any dealer would sell me one knowing I plan to install, what do these things cost? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay $5k for a replacement unit with installation? Trying to determine the cost of different options. What if I have a tech come out and replace the HX if they won't sell me one, expected cost of this?

If I do go with a new unit, I would prefer to stay away from aluminum. I would like to stay with a condensing boiler since my annual propane bill dropped from $5,200 to $2,800 when the old cast iron WH spilled it's guts out on the cellar floor 14 yrs ago.

Knowing the above, is stainless steel a better option in terms of reliability? I know I lose a little on the heat transfer side but I am not sure I want another aluminum HX if I go with a new system.
Yes stainless is better. You've lived the full life of a mod con boiler. Think about selling your house. Would you rather say the boiler is less than 5 yrs old or say yeah the boiler could go at any time?

Just my opinion.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Manufacturers make older parts expensive so they don't have to stock inventory. Probably be almost cost as much as a new boiler and only 1 year warrantee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks