Tyroc Subflooring - Sound, Moisture and Uncoupling flooring prep

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I woke this morning to an email from a fellow back East who is using a subfloor outside his bathroom called Tyroc. I goggled the product to find out it is the same stuff my current client is using for their basement in East Vancouver. In reading the specification sheet the folks at Tyroc save that their product is also an "Uncoupling Membrane".

Seams this term is getting loads of fan fare from multiple suppliers of late. Everyone wants a piece of Schluter's Pie!

Anyone tried it?

Here is an overview...

[video=youtube_share;kjfUTlKvdpI]http://youtu.be/kjfUTlKvdpI[/video]

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Tyroc SubFlooring - FAQ List with Answers

I never really looked twice at this stuff last week and only grabbed on sheet of to use as a spacer when I laid out my grading for the barrier free steam shwoer I was building. I'll look closer today. If memory serves me correctly it looks like a black rubber base and a section of Green E-Board over top.

Tyroc-Photo.jpg

Photo: Tyroc SubFlooring - Image Source - Page

Laarge-Bathroom-Tyroc-over-Advantech-Wood-Substrate-11.jpg

Photo: Tyroc Subflooring WHole Room - Photo Source - Page

I walked over the edge of the sheet I was using and cracked the Shit out of it. Today I'll beat on it some more and see how it holds up.

Tyroc - FAQ

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Does Tyroc Subflooring Bend? Can you tile over Tyroc? Is Tyroc endorsed by the TCNA?

Now the client on mine back East wants to design a barrier free bathroom and often we like to lip up the flooring outside the bathroom so we can cheat out a little more room for grading. After trying to break the stuff today I will look at how much flex this product has.

I just found this http://www.tyrocinc.com/actual-tyroc-installations/tile-installed-over-tyroc-subfloor/ and the contractor tiled over this stuff. Not sure I buy into this but it looks like Tyroc has reached out to every single TV personality and got endorsements.

Tyroc-Laydown-Over-OSB-2.jpg

Photo: Installing Tyroc - Image Source - Page

Now the guy above is gluing his seams together with construction adhesive. Construction adhesive tends to push or expand when it cures. I wonder why there are no fastners being used to pin it down or tight together?

Without knowing more my gut read on this stuff is it might be fine under your carpet or floating click flooring but no way in hell I would tile over it. Not until I see their specification in a TCNA or TTMAC Guideline. And that could take a least five years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks