Type of wall covering above shower stall

Users who are viewing this thread

Danny Daniels

Reaction score
I will be installing a 4 piece fibergalss shower stall enclosure measuring 36x36x72". This will be installed directly to the exposed wood framing. For the exposed walls at the top and sides of the enclosure what type of wall board is recommended? The exposed walls will be painted and not tiled, so I am not sure what type of moisture resistant drywall to use in this situation. The shower is in a small second bathroom with adequate ventilation (window and ceiling vent fan).

In a related question, what is the best way to seal the drywall around the top edges of the enclosure? There is an exposed flange where the unit is attached to the studs, so I am assuming the drywall drops down over the flange, but then what?

Thanks for any assistance. This is the first time installing a fiberglass shower kit.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Regular drywall is fine and a good quality kitchen & bath paint is adequate to protect the drywall from moisture. I caulk all transitions with 100% silicone caulk after painting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks