Type of closet flange for 3" copper drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

maz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking for a little help with installing a toilet and flange.

I have 3" copper drain for the toilet and the previous flange is gone when I got here. (I have nothing to refer to for replacement)
It doesn't look like the previous flange was soldered to the drain pipe and I suspect that a closet flange of another type was used.

What are the flange options compatible with a 3" copper drain ?

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

-James

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could solder on a brass or copper flange, if you can find one, lead on a cast iron one, or you could use an internal clamping flange (not ideal), or you could cut off a bit, use a banded coupler and convert to a short stub of PVC, and glue on any flange you wish. IF you go with the last, you want a flange with a SS ring that won't rust out - the all plastic ones are to be avoided. A pro may have some other ideas.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Soldering a 3" joint is a difficult task for DIY, and a leaded joint will require a pro as well. The banded coupler and a short length of PVC or ABS would be a good way to go. As Jim points out, avoid plastic flanges.

maz

Reaction score
I think that I am going to scope out the solder option. I'll likely cut back the copper drain below the floor, couple it and send up some pvc for the flange.
I'm not playing with packing lead.

Thanks again Guys.

maz

Reaction score
Could a cast iron compression flange be used on copper?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The OD of the copper is smaller than CI or plastic pipe, and you wouldn't want one that went on the inside of the pipe, plus, not sure the two different metals would work well together. SO, I do not think, but do not know for sure, if that would be a viable choice.

maz

Reaction score
I don't plan on putting anything inside the 3" drain, I ordered one of these:
images

It has a rubber gasket that will seal (hopefully) around the OD of my 3" copper drain.
We'll see and thanks for your help!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That may not get small enough to make a proper seal over copper - I think you'll find it is designed to go over CI or plastic pipe, which has walls a lot thicker than your copper pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks