type M copper pipe connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Al Dente

Reaction score
I need to replace some of the angle stops connected to the toilets in my house. The inlet to each angle stop is attached by a compression connector to 1/2" nominal type M copper pipe sticking out of the wall. I'd prefer to use a stronger connection than compression offers, if that seems reasonable.

I haven't made a flare connection before, but I have made sweat connections. Flare connections sounded attractive because they appear stronger than compression connections and don't require high heat like sweat connections. I thought I would attach an adapter, either flare or sweat, to convert the copper pipe to an IPS male threaded connector. Then I could screw a new IPS female threaded angle stop on to that. The adapter would stay attached to the inlet pipe permanently, and the angle stop could be easily replaced in the future if necessary.

Can flare connections be used for type M copper pipe? Or are sweat connections the only option if I want a stronger connection than compression?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Compression connections are extremely strong and reliable. Some plumbers from back east insist on sweat only. I have never seen a compression-connected valve develop a leak at the connection. Never saw one come apart catastrophically. I have replaced some that were not tightened adequately at first installation. They could have or should have come apart, but never did.

If you use proper technique to install them, you should not lose any sleep over them.

Now, is a threaded valve connected to a male adapter better? Probably. There is the extra first step of soldering the adapter, but future replacements will be a little easier. There is also the complication that a future DIY fails to use a proper holdback on the male adapter and twists the copper.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sleeve_puller_2.jpg

Compression sleeve puller

I use compression all the time without problems.

Replacement is easy with a "sleeve puller".
The most you ever do with these is maybe some light oil on the threads.
WD40 in a can works fine.

I would not bother to solder on connections. It's not that I haven't done it a time or two, but that was enough to convince me.

I did get a funny call from a customer of mine asking how to keep from burning the cabinets and walls when he tried it.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connectors

You cannot flare any "hard" copper, K, L, or M. You will split the tubing if you try. In 95+% of the cases, you can reuse the nut and ferrule unless you have the old coarse thread valves in which case you have to use a new nut and ferrule.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
100% of the time, if the stop is bad, I pull the whole thing off and replace the plate behind it with a nice new chrome one.

I must replace about 15 a week.

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks