Type L or Type M Copper Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
I'm running a new hose bib to a spot under my house. It's 50 feet from the nearest adequate supply line to where I want the hose bib. Should I go with Type L or Type M copper pipe? Most of the rest of the supply lines are Type L.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I'm running a new hose bib to a spot under my house. It's 50 feet from the nearest adequate supply line to where I want the hose bib. Should I go with Type L or Type M copper pipe? Most of the rest of the supply lines are Type L.

Underground I only use type K copper (CI for waste) above ground even for heating I use L Tubing

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The supply line for the hose bib will be run under the floor joists, in a dry crawlspace.
Its up to you 35 years ago I plumbed mostly in type M but Today I use type L almost always. accessible under house I could see using type M but personally I'm running type L about 95 percent of time. but if push comes to shove saving 50 bucks and if someone not really caring about the long run type M lasts good usually too. just depends on your look for standard or upper quality? If customer wants to go on the cheap its ok with me to drop price to save money as well . you can go plastic too tons of homes go with PEX or CPVC but I'm not using either except if customer wants it

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Jeff if the account says copper is too expensive I shake their hand ,wish them good luck and run

Thankfully the NYC plumbing codes only allows either L above ground and K below and I never used M or DWV

In one area they wanted DWV copper so I used DWV fittings with L tubing using 95 -5 solder

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

If someone owns the building and does not like the idea of toxins in their potable water or are concerned about critters chewing thought the toxic materials that could be a reason and wants a material with over 5,000 years of proven quality and reliability then possibly that's "WHY"

The main thing is YOU SAVE MONEY and forget the motto "plumbers protect the health of the nation"

MONEY over lives is a great idea especially when children are exposed to questionable materials

"Potential chemical leaching is another downside of PEX piping. Due to its chemical composition, the PEX pipe material may leach toxic chemicals including bisphenol (BPA), MTBE, tertiary butyl alcohol (TBA), and others.Sep 26, 2018"

PEX failures
"Its major failures is linked to piping and fitting. Piping fails when the pipes are exposed to chlorine that is within the water, exposure to direct sunlight before its installation. Furthermore PEX pipe is vulnerable when it comes in contact with such solutions as petroleum products and oxygen"

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rel...ndards-caused-by-green-building-plumbing.html

I testified against a plastic failure on a waster supply and the case was possibly one of the easiest I ever had to win .

All I did was look at one picture and did not go to the job site. I sent in a one paragraph about the inherent dangers of "plastics" and was paid $2,500

https://www.plasticexpert.com/pex-failures/

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
Just bumping this for any other opinions. Difference is about a dollar a foot, rest of the house is done with L copper. Sounds like consensus here is to stick with L rather than M even for exposed basement work? Not below ground.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
In CA we mostly see type M used in residences. That is what we've used as well.
It is allowed underground when not under-slab, like water service mains.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I used type M for 20 years then went to type L We got good life out of M but builders we worked for started specifying type L. Then I got into commercial and using L as well. never went back except for condensate drains

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks