Tying new plumbing for an old bathroom into main soil drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Hunt

Residential Remodeling and General Contractor
Reaction score
sewer diag1.jpg
sewer diag.jpg

Hey everybody!

I'm a first time poster and have really enjoyed surfing through the site the past week trying to find what I'm looking for and have came across some information but still need a little help.
My name is Tim and I down here in Duncanville, Texas. Been framing for 30 yrs. Remodeling for the last 20 & General contracting for the last 10. By no means do I claim to be a plumber but have done my fair share of it.
Hopefully that's enough of the introduction!
I'm working on a house built in 1948 and wound up replacing the plumbing that runs about 18" below the bottom of the joists in a master bath with a tub, toilet & double lav vanity. I was replacing the sub floor & repairing some of the structural framing and while tearing out the sub floor the pvc pipe fittings started coming apart with very little effort. Infact they all came apart with no effort so I just cut it all out from one side of the room to the other. The main stack for the house was in one wall & the soil drain runs right below, across and out the other wall and ties into the city at that point.
The wall with the stack has a half bath on the other side of it with a toilet that ties into the stack just before it turns to run under the room I'm replacing the plumbing in. The only other fixture in the hall bath is a pedestal lav. that backs up to the same wall. Its trap was once connected below the joist and was totally disconnect and laying on the ground below when I got to it. It was ran into the tub from the master bath just the other side of the wall.
All the fixtures in the master ran directly into the main soil drain connecting thru the top of the drain or in other words dropping into the main. None of the fixtures were vented either.
I brushed up on the code as to what fittings to go back with but I'm stuck on the correct way to run them into the main drain. So my questions are.

1)With the toilet from the hall bath tied in to the soil stack would that make the main soil drain a wet vent to tie the fixtures in the master into horizontally or should they drop in from the top?
2) Since it is the main will it vent each fixture without having to individually vent them?
3) If I do need to vent them can I vent the toilet off of the double vanity using a aav?

I'm pretty sure they all have to have there own vent unless I can pull off making it a wet vent.
The stack and drain are both 3" until about 2' before exiting the building then it turns 4". There is also a 2" line coming in from the kitchen and laundry which both have a vent of there own. I didn't mark them in the drawings but if I need to vent each fixture I plan on using aav's on the lavs if possible. Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Last edited:

Tim Hunt

Reaction score
Not that I know of. You are the first I heard of it!
But now I know why Texans grab a rope when they hear "New York City":)

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
Starting later this year, plumbers won't need licenses in Texas. In September, the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners will be abolished. This comes after state lawmakers left town without continuing the board through what's known as the "sunset process," an every-decade review and reform process of state agencies.May 29, 2019
Plumbers won't need state licenses in Texas anymore - Austin ...

https://www.bizjournals.com › starting-later-this-year-plumbers-wont-need
https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southcentral/2019/06/18/529615.htm says
Heading off the prospect of everyone in Texas being able to call themselves plumbers, Gov. Greg Abbott extended the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners and its licensing law until 2021 via an executive order.​

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
To even consider not requiring a master's license is ludacris with all that can go wrong by unknowing misfits dabbling in a highly skilled profession

Tim Hunt

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more guys. In 30 years of practically living on job sites I've hired and worked with a few really good plumbers and cant see any state doing away with licensing. It just doesn't make good sense!! Not to say that it wouldn't surprise me as not much does anymore. Ya know, you can read something in the news one week and get three different versions of it by the next week from the same publisher and tell the truth, did you ever think that you would see a black man or a woman run for president in your time? Much less in the same race! I sure as hell didn't!!!!

Now does anyone have any suggestions as far as the questions originally asked on this post? I would really appreciate any advise because I'm 95% sure that I can get it done correctly but the sub floor is up and out of the way at the moment & like I said there is only about 18" to work under there once I cover it back up! So that other 5% is pushing me to make sure its right the first time because make any corrections will be a huge pain in the ass!
If it wasn't for the respect I have for the professionals in the industry I damn sure wouldn't be here looking for answers. Thanks guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks