Tying into old PEX-A and a trap question

Users who are viewing this thread

Djarchow

Reaction score
I haven't been having much luck with my other questions so I will try a couple new ones.

I need to tie into some 14 year old Wirsbo PEX-a for a a fridge in my basement finish. If it matters this is a line coming off the manifold before the water softener but I don't have any extra ports on that part of the manifold. Given the PEX-A is 14 years old and has been exposed in the unfinished basement (no direct sun) all that time, will it still expand properly to take a T?

Also trying to figure out my basement shower p-trap. Plumbers put the 2" drain line under the concrete at a really inconvenient angle. To make the trap fit and line up with the shower receptor I have two options. Knock out some concrete to move the trap connection back about 3-4 inches so I can have about a 30 degree angle between the trap and the drain line; or extend the drain line past the shower drain and bring the trap in from the back side. This would give me about a 150 degree angle between the incoming drain line and the trap. Take a trap and swivel it all the way around until the inlet/tailpiece almost hits the crown and this is what I mean. I found one old post on here that said having this large change of direction in the trap is not a problem but the only ones who answered the question were not plumbers. I would rather not have to cut into the concrete if possible as there is a 3" waste line that runs right where I would be cutting/jack hammering.

Thanks for any help.

Regards! Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:

Djarchow

Reaction score
You can swivel the "P" trap all the way around, which is why it is made that way.
HJ,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it very much. That is good to know, it just seems somewhat counter-intuitive given all the code about needing extra cleanouts after 135 degrees of direction change.

Any thoughts my question on expanding 14 year old Pex-a?

Again thanks!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The Pex-a should be durable enough over that time frame to be expanded w/o issues.
I also have been using Sharkbite type fittings since they came out and would not hesitate to use one. Just support the pipe every 32" as normally required and provide extra support at the "T"

Djarchow

Reaction score
Thanks JohnCT and breplum for the replies I appreciate it. I will try the expansion tool and if I notice any thing odd I will just replace the propex T with a sharkbite since this will not be covered by drywall.

Again, thanks everyone!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you look at a typical p-trap, the curves don't really make any problems, regardless of which way you swivel it. It's still just one bend...comes straight down from the top, goes through a curve, and straight out the other end. Neither the water nor a snake cares.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks