Tying in to underground 4” PVC sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy Rands

Reaction score
I am going to tie in to my existing 4” underground pvc sewer line using 4” sdr35. I want to tie in about 2’ away from where the existing pipe enters the septic tank. Since I will be adding a wye fitting, and the existing 4” pipe is very thick, what is the best way to couple it in, given that the 4” pipe will likely not have much play in it to get the couplers on? Is a pvc slip coupler the way to go? (The coupler without the center stop, so it can slide completely over the pipe & then back over the ends of the wye once glued)

I thought the mission banded couplers might be the way to go, but it looks like those are for above ground use only. What do most people do?

thank you for any help or ideas!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I am going to tie in to my existing 4” underground pvc sewer line using 4” sdr35. I want to tie in about 2’ away from where the existing pipe enters the septic tank. Since I will be adding a wye fitting, and the existing 4” pipe is very thick, what is the best way to couple it in, given that the 4” pipe will likely not have much play in it to get the couplers on? Is a pvc slip coupler the way to go? (The coupler without the center stop, so it can slide completely over the pipe & then back over the ends of the wye once glued)

I thought the mission banded couplers might be the way to go, but it looks like those are for above ground use only. What do most people do?

thank you for any help or ideas!

No way would I ever use a fernco as I use shielded No hub couplings.

A Slip coupling (PVC) would be a better choice and anything but a fernco would be a better option IMHO

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
These are the style of Fernco brand that we use for sewer that are fully banded that Reach 4 posted above. They're designed to prevent pipe connections from sagging IF the installer doesn't do the proper backfilling around their work.

xsc-strong-back-main.jpg.pagespeed.ic.p8r-j1IJZG.webp

Randy Rands

Reaction score
I think you could use Fernco 1056-44 for coupling 4-inch schedule 40.

https://www.fernco.com/products/flexible-couplings/stock-couplings#tid-186
For a shielded version specified for burial see 1056-44RC
https://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings/strong-back-rc-couplings

You may want to add a cleanout to your new piping.

Thanks, @Reach4 & @Tuttles Revenge! A follow up Q: In the link above, I didn't see any of those that list "PVC to PVC" or something like that - they were mostly for clay pipe & ductile iron. What would I use for PVC to SDR35 to PVC? (or PVC to PVC, if I got a PVC to SDR35 adaptor for my pipe on the Wye?)

Thank you!

Randy Rands

Reaction score
No way would I ever use a fernco as I use shielded No hub couplings.

A Slip coupling (PVC) would be a better choice and anything but a fernco would be a better option IMHO
hey @Sylvan - thank you for your reply - so you would prefer something like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plu...ded-Pipe-Coupling-with-Clamps-NHCS4/310228691

or else you would use a PVC slip coupling as an alternative? Since this is getting buried, i just want to make sure and do it one time, and do it right! :)

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use a Fernco 1056-44 for 4" Schedule 40 to 4" Schedule 40, or 1056-44 RC for the shielded version (what Sylvan would recommend). Use a 4" SDR35 to Schedule 40 bushing, or just cut off a bell end of 4" SDR35, it's OD is very close to 4" Schedule 40.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
A follow up Q: In the link above, I didn't see any of those that list "PVC to PVC" or something like that
PL in the Fernco descriptions stands for plastic, and for their purpose, they mean PVC or ABS schedule 40 size. https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/resource-center/pvc-pipe-dimensions-18-through-24/ shows the OD of 4 inch schedule 40 is 4.50 inches That is close enough to 4.58.

"Connecting 1056 Series - CI, PL, Copper, ST or Lead to CI, PL, Copper, ST or Lead" CI is cast iron, PL is schedule 40 plastic -- PVC or ABS. Schedule 80 is the same OD as schedule 40, but that is very seldom used in sewer pipes.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks