Tying in laundry sink to existing drain

Users who are viewing this thread

nohc

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to figure out my options to tie in a new laundry sink to an existing sink drain. I want to put the new sink in the left corner as much as possible and avoid going off to the right past the stud that butts up to the existing vertical drain and vent. The vertical drain is 2" and the rest is 1.5".

After my research, I am considering using a wye fitting horizontally between the existing sink's outlet and sani tee. Thoughts?

Sink
Glacier Bay All-in-One 24.125 in. x 21.375 in. x 35 in. Stainless Steel Laundry Sink with Faucet and White Storage Cabinet-1521US-24-262 - The Home Depot

nohc-02.jpg

nohc-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Often a laundry sink is deeper than a lavatory, so you might need to tie in lower than the existing trap arm. For that you can cut in a san-tee below the existing san-tee. Which I think would be simpler/cleaner than the horizontal wye, although that is also allowed under the IPC. The applicable venting rules:

https://up.codes/viewer/georgia/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#911

Cheers, Wayne

nohc

Reaction score
Often a laundry sink is deeper than a lavatory, so you might need to tie in lower than the existing trap arm. For that you can cut in a san-tee below the existing san-tee. Which I think would be simpler/cleaner than the horizontal wye, although that is also allowed under the IPC. The applicable venting rules:

https://up.codes/viewer/georgia/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#911

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for the input and I like your suggestion on cutting in another sani tee below the existing one. I will double check if the height works out for the sink I got and knock this out.

nohc-03.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A horizontal wye cut into a trap arm wont pass my code we only allow one trap on a trap arm but perhaps ok with IPC?
I like the idea of stacking the santees plus its legal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks