Two submersible pumps in one 5 inch casing

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Jensen

Reaction score
I recently built a new house with a geothermal heat pump. We had a 140 foot well with a 1.5 HP continuous feed submersible pump. Everything is great unless the heat pump is running and I'm trying to water my lawn. At that point, my sprinklers barely work. I can tell there is a pressure drop if I am showering when the heat pump is on, but it is not very noticeable. I really do not want to upsize the current pump. I am thinking about digging my own shallow well and installing a sprinkler system in the future, but was wondering if I could add a second submersible pumps in the current well and isolate the heat pump so that it is the only thing on the current pump. Can a second pump be installed above the original pump? Can I add a second pitless adapter?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It would be very difficult to get two pumps in 5" casing. However, your well pump will probably make enough water, just not at the pressure you want. A two pump system would let the well pump produce more volume at low pressure, then the booster pump would add the pressure needed for the house. The low pressure is not an issue for the heat pump, so only the house water should be boosted. You can also use the discharge water from the heat pump to supply the house. Splitting after the heat pump instead of before will only use half as much well water.

DUAL PUMP_HEAT PUMP-2 PK1A.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks