Two Shower Heads, No tub. Simple Plumbing ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Z

Reaction score
Multiple Showerheads..... Is there any problem with this plan? New Shower enclosure (no tub). I want two shower heads. They will NOT be both used at the same time, just one or the other. Can I install one mixer valve, then Split the outlet line to the two shower heads with a simple shutoff valve at each shower head?. Seems simple enough. Just looking to have the option of either shower head, without getting complicated and keeping the cost down. Any reason this would not work? Thanks for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some valves do not work properly if you can end up with its outlet blocked like you could have with a shutoff on both heads. It should be fine with a diverter valve to switch from one to the other. Depending on the one you buy, you could potentially do one, the other, or both, but if you don't need that, just switching from one to the other is easier and cheaper.

Jeff Z

Reaction score
Some valves do not work properly if you can end up with its outlet blocked like you could have with a shutoff on both heads. It should be fine with a diverter valve to switch from one to the other. Depending on the one you buy, you could potentially do one, the other, or both, but if you don't need that, just switching from one to the other is easier and cheaper.
So, would you have one hot/cold mixer valve, then the diverter to direct water to either shower head? Thanks for your input.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, in your case, I'd probably go with one mixer/on-off valve and then a diverter valve. Depending on the brand and model, you might be able to get that in one assembly verses needing two. Depending on the diverter valve you choose, you could plumb it for A, B, or A+B. That third option adds to the complexity and cost that you can avoid, if you don't want or need it. Note that with most of these, there will be water left in the showerhead riser, so you'll get a plug of room temperature water out of the line, even when you switch from one to the other, that can be disconcerting! Some people put a tub filler valve in as a 'toe tester', that will open up and allow the line to drain when you're finished. It also allows you to say fill a bucket, if you wanted to mop the bathroom, and obviously, check that the temperature is to your liking prior to engaging it to the showerhead(s).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks