two shower heads and valves balancing loop

Users who are viewing this thread

North

Reaction score
I am redoing the MB and installing a rain shower in addition to a wall shower head. Each shower head will have its own Delta R10000-UNBXHF Multichoice Universal Shower Only Valve Body and Delta T17T038-SS Lahara Tempassure 17T Series Valve. I have ½ inch copper supply line with good pressure. I put together this diagram with a balancing loop to each valve.
My question is does anyone see anything wrong with my diagram?
Is this the best way to do this?
Thanks
balance.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is no need for a balancing loop.
Those valves have pressure balancing built in.

Also, since those are slow closing valves, no need for hammer arrestors.

Last edited:

North

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Terry. So there is no advantage to using a balanced loop? The loop is a little extra work but not much compared to the total project. If not then does it matter how I T off the water line to the two valves?

I used Google Sketchup, Love the program! High learning curve though. You build it on the computer first then the real thing.

Here is the whole shower. I removed the half wall (in the photo) so the shower would show.

for love whole bath.jpg

North

Reaction score
So this is the setup without the loop. Is this how a professional would do it? Do I need the air chambers on both valves? I know some do not think they work but when we moved in the pipes were knocking and I drained all the lines then turned water back on with all valves open. I then closed all the valves from the highest first and it got rid of the knocking, so I think they do something. So is the proper way to install them, one at each valve or just at one valve?

I just reread Terry's post and these valves are slow closing but I thought you put the air chambers at the highest point in the system so they are there not only for the shower but other valves on the bathroom line. Any thoughts are welcome.
No Loop.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can plumb it that way.
Plumbing code only recongizes mechanical hammer arrestors now. The air chambers can water log. If you drain the home like you did, you can get them working again. Most people won't do that, so therefore they now want something mechanical.
I used to do 3/4" air chambers on an upstairs shower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Air chambers are effective, until they fill with water. Once that happens it is next to impossible to empty them, unless you do as you did and remove them, empty the water, and then reinstall them. Which is both impractical and impossible once the walls are sealed up. IF you use them, they MUST be installed as close to the faucet as possible, in line with the water flow. "Community" air chambers are essentially useless.

North

Reaction score
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my posts, I really can't express my appreciation enough. Thank you, thank you. Time to start installing the shower!

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
Air chambers are effective, until they fill with water. Once that happens it is next to impossible to empty them, unless you do as you did and remove them, empty the water, and then reinstall them. Which is both impractical and impossible once the walls are sealed up. IF you use them, they MUST be installed as close to the faucet as possible, in line with the water flow. "Community" air chambers are essentially useless.
I disagree. Many are the times i had customers complain about water hammer noise in their older houses and i would go and shut the main stop then open every faucet in the house then close them. then open the main stop. this would recharge all the air chambers in the house.

North

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. I installed without a balancing loop (3rd photo I uploaded) as was suggested and all worked great. I left the shower pan in so I could test the pressure and operation of both showers at once and they both worked great with plenty of pressure and water from each shower head.

The joints where solder was applied against gravity (I.E. the bottom of a vertical T Joint) were the most difficult. Not being able to see the solder flow in is what made it hard. Because I do not have a lot of experience, I was not trusting that enough solder was in the joint and kept adding solder until it was to much.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; this would recharge all the air chambers in the house.

IT is almost a physical impossibility, for the same reason water will stay inside an inverted soda bottle. But as long as your perception is that it worked, that is all that counts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks