Two scary wiring mistakes in my garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Arfeller

Reaction score
While upgrading the service in my garage I ran into these gems.

After I found the first I began removing ALL the wiring in the garage and will replace everything. Also notice, the cover on the box was made out of a thin tin cut to the correct size.

All wires were found this way, i did not change anything or take off any electrical tape

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

Luckily, I had never used the outlet with the neutral wired into the ground. It was in the back corner and out of the way. I can only imagine the problems that could have caused for me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
neutral

Actually, it might not have caused you any problems, as long as the neutral wire was not interupted between the outlet and the panel box.

Arfeller

Reaction score
Truthfully, as you can see, both wires were black and I'm not really sure if that was hooked up to the neutral or hot... Did not bother to check as it was all coming out anyway.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
That would highly motivate me to check out the rest of the electrical system now rather than at later! :eek:

Arfeller

Reaction score
Yep, None of the original wiring is left in the house.

The garage is detached and was my next project. Yesterday, i removed all the wiring from the entire garage.

At this point I feel alright : )

BurleyMike

Reaction score
Looks like the same guy that wired my house did yours. Here is what I found in the wall when I remodeled the dining room. I always wondered what that bulge in the wall was. They even put a nail through the wire, I should have got a picture of that.

Attachments

• diningroomwall2.jpg
    diningroomwall2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,007

ChuckS

Reaction score
Looks like the same guy that wired my house did yours. Here is what I found in the wall when I remodeled the dining room. I always wondered what that bulge in the wall was. They even put a nail through the wire, I should have got a picture of that.

I guess that's what you get from the lowest bidder...

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
It saves money on wire staples. :) Just pin the wire between the stud and the drywall to secure it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks