Two questions

Users who are viewing this thread

packedD

Reaction score
I am working on a project that stretches my skills a bit and I have a couple questions before I get busy on it.
I just bought a house that has no rough-ins in the basement, but it has two copper Vent stacks that go from the basement floor to the roof. In the basement I want to rough in a bathroom that I am planning it out. My plan is to have a toilet, a sink and a bathtub/shower draining (through their P traps) into a 4" pipe that slopes down into the vent stack under a concrete floor. These are my questions:

1) Would you use ABS for the main drain pipe into the vent stack? Or plastic? The vent stack is copper, and it seems a shame to cut out a piece of copper, attach the rubber sleeves on each side of plastic/ABS sanitary Tee. I could try to find a copper sanitary tee in that size, but then I would have to connect the ABS/Plastic to the copper. Any suggestions here would be helpful. Should I just try to do it all in copper and forget about those rubber sleeves, because they just done inspire confidence there under a concrete floor.

2) An upstairs bathroom drains into this stack just under the joists in the basement. The new bathroom will have a main venting pipe connecting to the same stack. Is it enough that this venting pipe connects to the stack above any sanitary tee that drains into it, or do I have to go higher than that for some reason Im not understanding yet?

Thanks in advance for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

It would be unusual for a copper stack to go into the concrete floor, much less run under it. You can make a transition to plastic using the proper transition couplings as needed. You cannot connect the vent to a functioning drainline, otherwise you would just provide a second drain path in case the original one plugs up.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1. ABS is plastic (black). The other type of plastic uses is PVC (white).

Working with 3 and 4" copper is maybe not a DIY project.

2. You keep mentioning vent stack. Do you mean drain stack? Tying into a drain and tying into a vent are 2 different things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks