Two pumps one irrigation system

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
working on plans for large irrigation system. Currently there are two 3hp 40 gpm submersible pumps each making 45-50 gpm @ 60 lbs. This may not be enough water to irrigate the whole property in the desired amount of time. We were thinking of swapping out one of the 3hp pumps for a 5hp 75gpm that will make about 95gpm.

My question is how to control these and how to set the switches? I was thinking CSVs with overlapping spreads on the switches but which should cut in first the 3 hp or the 5 hp.
Thanks

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can make this as simple or as complicated as you want. Do you want the same pump to always be the lead pump? Or do you want the lead pump and lag pump to alternate?

It can be as simple as setting the pressure switch2-5 psi lower on the lag pump, to as complex as you can afford.

If I'm not alternating the pumps, the smaller volume pump is usually the lead pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I agree with Boyce. I usually lead with the smallest pump.

3HP with 60/80 switch and CSV at 70.
5HP with 50/70 switch and CSV at 60.
One 86 gallon tank if pumps are close together. A 44 gallon tank at each pump if the wells are 50' or 2 miles apart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks