Two Pervs Make a Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've had two customers in the last couple of weeks who have bad PRVs. Neither one would give me the go-ahead to replace them. Both devices were buried in the soffits of finished-out basements, well out of reach through the token access hole left by the fatherless remodelers who did the finish work. Customers couldn't hack the tear-out it would take to get to the device to replace it, and neither wanted to give up the "good shower" they were getting with the 120+ lb street pressure. I warned them. Repeatedly.

Both situations had access to the water main downstream in the utility room of the basement. My question is: can I leave the defective PRV in place and install a new PRV downstream in a much more accessible location? I can't thing of a reason why not, but I want to make sure it's a proper fix under the circumstances. Feedback welcome.

Wrenched

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with multiple PRVs in series (it's recommended for systems with 180psi+ pressure). In your two situations it's certainly hackish, but maybe its a solution. It will protect everything downstream of the new PRV, nothing upstream, and will make future trouble shooting more complicated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks